DLA to PIP after 65 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

DLA to PIP after 65

KAR
KAR Community member Posts: 13 Listener
I read everywhere that PIP is up to 64, and the first claim must be before the 65th birthday. 
I am also aware that I would only have been left on DLA if I had been 65 in 2013.
So what I don't get is why I wasn't contacted by DWP until after my  65th birthday to say that my DLA was ending and I could apply for PIP instead. I'm 65 now, so it should be too late for the first claim but, presumbaly because of their oversight, I was by accident allowed to slip over this threshold before they caught up with me. My CAB Advisor hasn't heard of anyone over 65 being called up for the first time, and it does conflict with the hard and fast 'rules'. I can't help but wonder if they had left it too late and, because they hadn't contacted me until I was 65, they should leave me on DLA after all. Legal test case? Or is there a DWP paragraph somewhere covering them on this?

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,355 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

This is because DWP are extremely behind with transferring those that were under 65 in April 2013. As long as you were under that age on the date you will be invited to claim PIP, they haven't forgotten about you. You're not the only one who is yet to be invited, there's lots of others too. That invite will come soon enough. Good luck when it does.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2018
    I am reading on other forums about this and it seems that people who are 69/70 now and still on DLA are now being told that they are to transfer over to PIP. Age is no barrier provided that you were not 65 on the 8th April 2013.

In fact I'll go one step further and suggest that once (if)you are awarded PIP at age 69 or 70 you stand a very good chance of having to continually prove your entitlement via re-assessment every 2 or 3 years until death strikes you!!
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    Unless you had passed 65 prior to April 2013 (i think the 10th) everyone on indefinite DLA, regardless of age, will be invited to apply for PIP.  In effect it's a transfer as PIP has replaced DLA, though not an automatic one - you have to fill in a PIP application form. Many over 65s are in this category, myself included.  I was on DLA and invited to apply for PIP aged 68.

• Yadnad
    edited October 2018
    Matilda said:
    Unless you had passed 65 prior to April 2013 (i think the 10th) everyone on indefinite DLA, regardless of age, will be invited to apply for PIP.  In effect it's a transfer as PIP has replaced DLA, though not an automatic one - you have to fill in a PIP application form. Many over 65s are in this category, myself included.  I was on DLA and invited to apply for PIP aged 68.

I too was in receipt of DLA indefinitely since 1995 for High Care & Mobility.
    Have had 3 assessments for PIP since 2013 and failed everyone with 0 points!!

However won the first 2 at MR - Enhanced Care & Mobility. The 3rd failed at MR stage and I gave up.

At 70 now and not disabled enough any longer it seems.
  • KAR
    Thanks for all of these comments. So it is happening widely post 65 then but, and its at times like this that I wish I'd gone into Law rather than Education, there still seems to be a conflict in the rule that 1st applications for PIP must before 65, and calling up people after. Of course, we know that rules which apply to the claimant do not to DWP e.g timescales, but there does seem room for a potential challenge here. We have to cumulatively, and en masse, keep standing up to these anomalies. When I threatened Human Rights action at being refused to type my application, they soon rallied round. I know its really stressful, hard work, depressing and humilating to have to keep focusing upon what you can't do and then being treated like a criminal trying to cheat the system. CAB are apparently collecting cumulative evidence on various aspects, so if you have anything useful for them it would be good to get in contact e.g I picked up that the assessor had claimed 70 minutes for a consultation that barely lasted 30. Individually, and collectively, we need to resist.
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    The DWP decided that if you had passed 65 prior to April 2013 (I think the 10th or thereabouts) then you stayed on DLA. If you were under 65 on the cut-off date then you had to apply for PIP when asked to do so.  If you are on DLA post 65 then you can apply for PIP; if you are not on DLA post 65 then you can't.

DWP sent out letters in 2013 about DLA claimants having to be reassessed for PIP at some point.  There should be a fuller explanation on the gov.uk website.
  • KAR
    I will do just that. Thank you Matilda.
  • sue66
    sue66 Community member Posts: 124 Pioneering
    Hi,

This is because DWP are extremely behind with transferring those that were under 65 in April 2013. As long as you were under that age on the date you will be invited to claim PIP, they haven't forgotten about you. You're not the only one who is yet to be invited, there's lots of others too. That invite will come soon enough. Good luck when it does.
    Any ideas just how much behind they are, any day that dreaded brown envelope will be arriving through my letter box but then ive been saying this for a whole year now. Wish i was born in 1948 instead of 1951. Should be based  on how ones ailment affects them not what yr. they were born and also why the 3 yr reassessment rule for those who have  things wrong with  them that are never going to improve with time which lets face it are most of us Generally speaking we get worse with age not better. Wish they would forget about me lol !
  • Yadnad
    edited October 2018
    sue66 said

Wish i was born in 1948 instead of 1951........why the 3 yr reassessment rule for those who have  things wrong with  them that are never going to improve with time
    I just missed the deadline by a couple of weeks so had to transfer to PIP - now aged 70. In the past 5 years I have had 3 assessments/re-assessments won the first two at MR stage and then gave up as the stress was too much.

There is no such rule. The assessor indicates to the DWP what they would like to see (probably because more regular assessments = more money for them) and the DWP will always give the shortest award that they think that they can get away with. Failing to address the length of the award selected at MR stage will effectively allow the DWP to get away with their antics.

It has been said elsewhere on this site by a WRO that the majority if not the whole of these short awards when the DWP are challenged to produce their evidence in support of the length given they up it the length to 10 years+ as there simply is no evidence and they know it.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.