PIP interview and updates — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP interview and updates

Clare_1970
Clare_1970 Community member Posts: 8 Listener
Good Morning everyone
i had my PIP interview on 26th Sept as my DLA is expiring on 18th of this month. Have to say the guy was pleasant enough although asked what i felt was a couple of trick questions regarding my mobility and who walked the dog after my husband had already said that he did, but anyway! I now have been told the wait is 6 werks for a decision which i expected.
my first issue is that i applied for a renewal of a blue badge and was given one that is valid for 9 days! So runs out on the 18th of Oct even though i sent them the PIP appointment letter. So basically i have paid £10 for 9 days use of the badge which seems very unfair plus a waste of time for them to even produce it.
my second issue is that i had a hospital appt on Friday and was told my lipoedema has now developed into Lymphoedema too which will have a bigger impact on my mobility and heaviness in my legs needing intense bandaging for 2 weeks changed daily until compression tights are delivered which i am meant to wear daily for the rest of my life when i can work out how i can put them on after a recent hip replacement and the need for a knee replacement next. Do you think i should be reporting this update to PIP or will they not take it into consideration as the interview has taken place?
thank you in advance

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,359 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

PIP isn’t about a diagnosis, it’s how those conditions affect you daily. Reporting this will be classed as a change of circumstances and more forms will be sent to you. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Clare_1970
    I shouldnt need to report it then as covered the issues it causes me already in the form and interview. Basically all the diagnosis just gave me the reason for the problems i have?
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger

i applied for a renewal of a blue badge and was given one that is valid for 9 days! So runs out on the 18th of Oct even though i sent them the PIP appointment letter. So basically i have paid £10 for 9 days use of the badge which seems very unfair plus a waste of time for them to even produce it.
    The appointment letter does not give the right to a Blue Badge.
    Only the decision letter showing the relevant and appropriate points does that.
    Your new badge cannot go beyond the date when your current award runs out.
    If it did and you did not get an automatic right to a badge you would have to return it in any event.
    There is nothing stopping you applying for a new badge from the 18th but you will have to use the council's discretionary process which to be honest is now extremely hard to get.
    Even my wife who is 75 and who has had previous Blue Badges was refused one last month - whilst she is on the highest rate of Attendance Allowance indefinitely that in itself does not give automatic entitlement. The council test is in my opinion just as hard to get through as is the PIP assessment.
  • Clare_1970
    Hi i understand that but i think i should have been told to wait till my decision came through then as its cost me £10 and money is tight as it is
  • atlas46
    atlas46 Community member Posts: 826 Pioneering
    Hi @Clare1970

Why don't you phone your blue badge office and explain your situation, it sounds like your current badge was computer driven.

The staff I have dealt with for my blue badge, have always been very helpful.

You should phone PIP helpline to request a copy of the assessment report, this will enable to see what points you have been awarded.

Hope this helps.
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2018
    atlas46 said:
    Hi @Clare1970

Why don't you phone your blue badge office and explain your situation, it sounds like your current badge was computer driven.

The staff I have dealt with for my blue badge, have always been very helpful.

In any event the application form for those with automatic entitlement asks for the date the current award ceases. The council will then send a new badge but limited to expire when the current award expires. That can be 2 years, 1 year or 1 month in length.

I don't know if the council check the date you give with the DWP and whilst you should return a current Blue Badge if the automatic entitlement ceases before the Blue Badge does many keep hold of it and continue to use it. Again I have no idea if the council would be able to pick up that the badge should have been returned.

What I do know is that a friend continued to use a Blue Badge for over 2 years after the badge holder (her mother)  had died!

I agree that the staff are helpful that is until they find out that you either have been refused a badge under the concessionary rules or that your automatic entitlement comes to an end.
    In my council they simply say ' do another application (concessionary or new PIP claim)' which may be OK for the latter category but for the former the previous failure is still on record at the council office.
  • Clare_1970
    I dont mind handing a badge back or anything if i am not entitled to it. I just feel they have wasted theirs and my time and money on issuing a badge for 9 days and should have mentioned it in our telephone conversation because i would have said to leave it and i would reapply if i was given PIP and then spent my £10 knowing it would have been worth it. That £10 could have paid 2 x taxis to get me to work

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.