Awaiting carers allowance — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Awaiting carers allowance

sophella8
sophella8 Community member Posts: 7 Listener
My partner has applied for carers allowance for looking after myself, i recieved a letter telling me he had done this and also a letter from esa about my money reducing as of 1st November 2018. Despite having these letters still no payment recieved any idea how long after you recieve these letters that you should expect payment?

Thanks

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,340 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

It could be a while because carers allowance can take between 8-12 weeks to claim and for payments to start. Carers Allowance have to contact ESA for them to work out how much money is owed to them before any backdated money of carers premium is paid. It's complicated and very few people understand it.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • sophella8
    Thanks for reply yes i have recieved a letter from esa telling me they will be taking money because of a change in income which i assume would be my half of the carers allowance that will get paid to my partner u do understand it just wondering how long afyer recieving the letter from esa would it take 
  • poppy123456
    There's no timescales. When claiming carers allowance the CA is taken off your ESA (£64.30 per week) CA then pay your partner (£64.30) per week. ESA then add a carers premium of £36 per week, this can be backdated to the start of a PIP claim providing your partner was caring for you for at least 35 hours per week and wasn't working and earning more then £125.50 per week. It works out the you'll be £36 per week better off than before the CA claim.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • sophella8
    I already know all of what you just said i dont think your undeestand my question thanks anyway
  • poppy123456
    I understood your question and i answered it. CA takes 8-12 to claim. How long it takes ESA to backpay your money......there's no timescales.
  • sophella8
    Esa do not owe me any money i never said that esa wrote to me stating i have a change of income therefore they are taking over 30 pound a week which i assume to be carers!!!! My point is if they are taking it out of my money now why hasnt my partner recieved and money?!?!?!
  • poppy123456
    The carers premium can be backdated to the start of the PIP claim, if your partner was caring for you for at least 35 hours per week and earning less than £125.50 per week. Providing he claims carers allowance within 3 months of the PIP award decision. Is the carers premium of £36 per week been added to your ESA? They may have sent a letter but this doesn't mean they have added it yet. My claim for carers allowance took 4 months to sort out and i claim ESA too.

When claiming Carers Allowance online you have an option to be paid weekly, 4 weekly or 13 weekly, which box was ticked? If he has any questions about his carers allowance payments then it should be carers allowance he should be asking and not an internet forum because no one can give the specific answers you're looking for.
  • sophella8
    edited October 2018
    I was told on the phone i will have 32 pound something deducted from my esa not added which will be paid to my partner. My partner chose to be paid weekly. It is very confusing i think and they dont seem to tell you much on the phone. I know people who have recieved there carers allowance 2 weeks after they applie so i think it all depends on backlog in your area.
  • poppy123456
    They will deduct £64.30 from your ESA, which is the carers allowance. Carers allowance will then pay your partner separately because you can't be paid twice for carers allowance. ESA then add a carers premium which is £36 per week. In total you'll both be £36 per week better off.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.