Chores — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Chores

hartill77
hartill77 Community member Posts: 97 Courageous
edited October 2018 in Coffee lounge
Hi 
Just curious, parents with children with a disability (where the child can physically do it). Do you get your child/children to do any chores at home. 
My daughter has autism and some days she really pikes to help and others are a real struggle. 
Just wonder what other people's views are on house chores for kids? 

Charlene

Comments

• debbiedo49
    debbiedo49 Community member Posts: 2,904 Disability Gamechanger
    It's going to get all children to do chores and give rewards for doing it. It gives them a sense of responsibility and they usually respond well to praise. It depends on the individual child what they are able to do and how you reward them. If it's a struggle take it down a peg. Always put the task at an easy level so they can achieve it and they will enjoy doing it. My teen son is so lazy at home and it's my fault as I would often get fed up or stressed and do it myself. He has episodes of poor mental health and at 19 still enjoys getting praise for the simple things when he does them. What age is your child? 
  • Laura81
    Laura81 Community member Posts: 7 Connected
    We get both our eldest children to help out. They share doing the dishes after our evening meal and help with the "big clean" 
    They have their gripes and moans from time to time but they pitch in. Our eldest is 15 and really does help a lot since my diagnosis. 
    @debbiedo49 is right. Keep tasks easy to complete and offer praise. Star charts are great ?
  • hartill77
    My daughter's 11. She likes loading the washing machine and putting the soap powder/conditioner in but had a melt down about washing one bowl up. I just wondered if it was autism related that bothers her about chores or children in general disliking chores. 
  • debbiedo49
    My lazy son doesn’t like doing dishes at all so the compromise is fill basin with soapy water and ask him to put his dishes etc in it. I then tell him well done for doing that. He does it again and so on. #winning lol 
  • hartill77
    She's made an app on my phone that has a wheel which picks the chore for her to do each day so we're testing that out this week lol. 
  • debbiedo49
  • Firefly123
    Firefly123 Community member Posts: 530 Pioneering
    Yes I try to get all mine to do something might just be to take the rubbish out and yes I now try not to just do it and will remind them until it's done. It's good they do something. 
  • debbiedo49
    To be honest my son helps me in lots of ways due to my health issues so sometimes it’s easier to choose our battles lol. 
  • Firefly123
    Firefly123 Community member Posts: 530 Pioneering
    To be honest my son helps me in lots of ways due to my health issues so sometimes it’s easier to choose our battles lol. 
    Totally agree with you there Debbie that's always my first thought is it worth the battle 

Brightness