Submitted form ESA1 four weeks ago. Not heard anything yet. Is this normal? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Submitted form ESA1 four weeks ago. Not heard anything yet. Is this normal?

ESABenefitsUK123
ESABenefitsUK123 Community member Posts: 71 Courageous
As per title: Submitted ESA1 four weeks ago, to my local J.C.Plus office.  Not heard anything yet.  Is this normal?

Also, I wrote to my local council at the same time, asking them for help regarding a council tax reduction, and haven't heard from them either.

When should I contact them to see what's happening?
Thanks very much for any comments! :)

Comments

• wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello and welcome to the community, my first port of call is contact the departments that you are making the claim with for an update of the progression of your applecation. This way you will know if they have received your application and if so how long before you receive a desion, or they may require more information, good luck and keep us updated.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,922 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

ESA is usually claimed over the phone because it's much quicker and claims usually take about 3-4 weeks. It's much longer than this if you fill the form in yourself and send it or take it to your local Job centre. Is it Income related or contributions based ESA you're claiming? Have you checked to see what's in your area? If it's a full Universal credit area then for Income related ESA it will be this you'll have to claim and not ESA. Check your area here. http://ucpostcode.entitledto.co.uk/ucdate

For your council tax reduction, is there any reasons why you didn't just ask them to send you a form, rather then write them a letter? You will need to fill out the forms for this.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • ESABenefitsUK123
    Thanks.  I filled out ESA 1, with regards to Income related.  I think UC is in my area, but I didn't hear back from the J.C.Plus / DWP, so hopefully they will transfer over my ESA 1 form to UC??

I wrote to my council asking them for help, and just assumed that they would send me a form.

I'll have to chase both up (DWP / ESA) and Council, if I don't hear anything from them after say 5.5 weeks.

Thanks.
  • poppy123456
    If your area is a full UC area then claiming ESA Income related was the wrong benefit to claim. Did you put your postcode into the link i provided above? It will tell you exactly what's in your area.

If you claimed ESA then they won't transfer your claim to UC because it's a different benefit. First put your postcode into the link, then ring ESA DWP to find out what's happening to your claim. If it's a full UC are you're in then a claim for UC needs to be made online.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • ESABenefitsUK123
    Thanks a lot.  I tried the postcode link, andI am in a Universal Credit full service area

However, I have been on DWP NICs for a while now, so my claim isn't 100% new.  I'll give them a ring, and find out what is happening...

• poppy123456

However, I have been on DWP NICs for a while now,
    Do you mean you're claiming ESA but only get the NI credits towards your state pension?
  • ESABenefitsUK123
    In the past, I was on incapacity benefit, then when ESA came along, I was put on ESA (contribution based for 1 year I think), but then after 1 year of that, my benefits stopped because I had savings, so I think what the DWP did was they kept my NICs going, even though they stopped giving me any benefits money.  Now, my savings are nearly gone, and my health has also worsened, hence my reapplying for ESA, but this time, income based.  Thanks.
  • poppy123456
    What you're saying doesn't make sense.

When you transferred from IB which group were you placed into? Most people that were transferred were placed into the Support Group and Contributions based in the Support Group is paid for as long as you remain in the Support Group, it's not limited to 1 year like the WRAG is.

It's possible you can have an Income Related top up on Contributions based but you don't just stop claiming it when in the Support Group, unless you're found fit for work. Contributions based isn't means tested and income/capitol doesn't affect this. Income related is of course means tested.
  • poppy123456
    Also if you're claiming the NI credits only then you already have a claim for ESA and the ESA1 form is not the correct form to have filled in because it's not a new claim. The ESA1 form, is the claim form. Did you get advice before filling out the form?
  • ESABenefitsUK123
    >> When you transferred from IB which group were you placed into?

Work focused.

>> Did you get advice before filling out the form?

No advice.  Who do I ring for advice?  Thanks.

• poppy123456
    You should just ring ESA and tell them your circumstances have changed and you no longer have savings/capitol. If your claim is still active they will tell you, if it isn't then you'll need to claim Universal Credit.
  • ESABenefitsUK123
    OK, I will ring them, and explain this, thanks.
  • ESABenefitsUK123
    Just rung them, and here is what happened:

I should not have submitted ESA1, but I need to apply for UC instead.  However!! there is a twist to the tale.  I spoke to a health decision maker a bit later on, and he figured out something that the first call handler did not.  What I *really* need to do is submit ESA3, because my claim is still live, and that will transfer me over from contributions to income related.  He also said do NOT apply for UC.

Regarding the council tax reduction, I rang them, and found out that my letter was received, but no one did anything, so I need to do that online, which I am now doing.

Regarding my letter to the job centre, with ESA1 form, it was forwarded on to the DWP, but no one from either the job centre or the DWP told me that the ESA1 form was wrong, or offered to help. 

Really, letters don't seem to be the best way of contacting these people, and call handlers don't seem to know all that much about how the system works.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.