Concerned about the effect chemo has had on my daughter — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Concerned about the effect chemo has had on my daughter

fari
fari Community member Posts: 4 Listener
Hello everyone.  I have joined as I am needing some support. My daughter who is now 16 had Leukaemia when she was 3. In the last 3 years I have noticed some changes with her learning and memory. We were recently told the chemo has damaged her brain. This is what is causing the learning and memory difficulties.  She had an assessment last year and cognitively she came out as 9 years old. 
I now feel I have to apply for PIP to help support her. I have had to give up work due to continued health appointments and school calls. 
Yesterday I came home to her eating raw chilled chicken nuggets. She thought they were ok and ready to eat. Thankfully she has not been ill with the raw chicken. 
Thank you in advance

Comments

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @fari welcome to the community!

Sorry to hear you are going through this. You might also be eligible for Carers Allowance if you are your daughters sole carer. 
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • fari
    Thank you, I had not thought about that. Been putting it all off really.

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    It's understandable.

Have you had a look at our online benefits checker? It’s a handy tool which should be able to give you an idea of what benefits you may be entitled to. You can also find out more information about benefits on our website. 
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • Firefly123
    Firefly123 Community member Posts: 530 Pioneering
    Hi  and welcome you need to apply to be her appointee first as if not would be her that has to apply im my  kids appointee you have to apply to the Dwp and they will send someone out to ask asses your daughter she has to only really say yes have any paperwork at hand they will tell you before they leave if its yes or no but sounds like it should be no problem 
  • fari
    Thank you. I will look at that. I need to do that for my other daughter who has autism as well. 
    I will have a look at the benefit helper on here. Got to go and sort tea first!
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2018
    Welcome to the community, @fari

So sorry to hear that things have been tough for both you and your family. You've had some great advice already, and I'd also recommend getting in touch with the team at Carers UK. They may be able to offer more specific advice for your circumstances. You can find their contact details here.

Carers UK information, support and advice

We provide information, support and advice to carers. The information and advice we provide covers a range of subjects relating to caring including:
    • Benefits and tax credits
    • Carers employment rights
    • Carers assessments and how to get support
    • Services available to carers
    • How to complain effectively and challenge decisions
    You can email us or contact us and we will respond to your enquiries within 5 working days, although it can often be sooner.
    Our telephone helpline providing information is open on Mondays and Tuesday between 10am and 4pm - 0808 808 7777
  • fari
    Thank you. Not really thought of myself as a carer as they are my daughter's. However this is the 2nd time I've given up work in the last 2 years to support them. It is very hard. 
    I need to look at all these things and make a start. X
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    It's so important to make sure you're taking care of yourself too @fari, and making sure that you have all the support you need as a family too. Do let us know how you get on and if we can be of assistance, just let us know! 

Brightness