Money for rent.......help needed — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Money for rent.......help needed

Options
Twells50
Twells50 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
my son has been getting esa since the beginning of the year he recently split up with his partner so he has been left with having to pay everything himself. He has recently changed over to uc and all they will give him is £65 per month towards his £550 months rent. Help

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,978 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Hi,

A few questions to be able to help you further. Is your son under or over the age of 35? Any dependent children living with him? does he claim PIP or DLA? and how many bedrooms does he have?  Finally, has he given his tenancy agreement to DWP? Sorry for all the questions but i will be able to help you further once you've answered them.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Twells50
    Options
    Hi poppy, thank you so much for replying. My son is 26. He has a five year old daughter who lives with her mum but stays with her daddy firiday to Monday twice a month. At this stage he does not claim pip however I am about to start a claim with him. No he has not given anyone a copy of his tenancy agreement to anyone. My concern is that both my son and his ex girlfriend are on this agreement, will this be an issue? Sorry he has two bedrooms.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Hi,

He will need to give them the tenancy agreement otherwise he won't be paid the housing element of UC. He will need to ask his landlord for a new tenancy agreement because he's no longer living with his ex GF.

What i forgot to ask is if it's a social housing house or privately rented?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Twells50
    Options
    Private landlord 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Ok as he's under 35 then he will only receive the shared accommodation rate, unless they accept that his daughter staying with him twice per month for those days and they give him a 2 bedroom rate. He will need to contact DWP with his tenancy agreement and see what they say about his daughter.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.