Mobility scooter transport issues — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Mobility scooter transport issues

Sue62
Sue62 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
I'm waiting to get a date for my tribunal, like a lot of people on hear we got standard Rate on both Mobility ans Living allowance so our car went back in July 2018, i have got myself a Mobility Scooter but can't get on buses or trains with it so i'm stuck just going around our local shops, but i am having help from welfare rights for my Tribunal and they are coming with me.    

Comments

• thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Sue62 Pleased to meet you welcome. Thank you for joining and sharing.

Best wishes for a successful outcome on your tribunal.  Glad to see you have some support.

We are a friendly, supportive community.  Care and share.  Lots of advice, information and new friends.

Please ask if we can advise on anything. Some one will know.

Take care

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Sue62, and a warm welcome to the community!

Sorry to hear about your difficulties. Hopefully some of our community members will be able to advise, but just by chance I came across this article which you may be interested in, about disabled people's struggles with public transport. It seems you're not alone!
  • Jean_OT
    Jean_OT Community member Posts: 513 Pioneering
    Hi @Sue62

Sorry to hear that you are having problems using public transport when you are out on your mobility scooter.

There isn't a blanket ban of taking mobility scooters on trains. But as scooters come in a wide range of types and sizes and not all train providers can take all types, it is necessary to check with the train company you are travelling with and the stations you will be using: http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/stations_destinations/44969.aspx

Many bus companies will now accept scooters that comply with the CPT code, for example: https://www.firstgroup.com/bus-accessibility/mobility-scooters-code. Each bus company should be able to tell you precisely what their regulations are.

So for everyone planning to use their scooter on trains or buses it is important to check local regulations and if necessary/possible obtain a scooter that will comply with those regulations.

Normally the smaller the scooter the more likely it is to be accepted especially if it folds. Some people who normally use a scooter find that they need to use a manual or power wheelchair in order to access public transport. Obviously this situation isn't ideal and will hopefully improve as public transport is modernized and upgraded (drop floor buses for example).

Sorry I am unable to be more helpful, good luck with your tribunal. 

Best Wishes

Jean

Jean Merrilees BSc MRCOT

You can read more of my posts at: https://community.scope.org.uk/categories/ask-an-occupational-therapist

Brightness