What benefits am I entitled to? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

What benefits am I entitled to?

BigBen
BigBen Community member Posts: 13 Listener
Hello I've got a cousin who is a single parent but lives with his mum who owns the house they live in he pays no rent or bills and claims to have no money. He's got an autistic son who goes a special school and 2 other daughter who a main stream primary school who live with him as well. 

Does anyone know what benefits he should be on and claiming for his family?

I would not normally ask this but nearly every other day it's a can I borrow £20 or £30 and rarely pays a penny back and surely he is getting a considerable amount of benefits each week and doesn't pay rent or bills what we all wish we didn't have to pay but unfortunately we have to. 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,340 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

You really should ask him what benefits, if anything he's claiming because it's extremely difficult to advise without knowing his full circumstances.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • BigBen
    Ok that's understandable Poppy and thank you for getting back to me
  • Misscleo
    Misscleo Community member Posts: 647 Pioneering
    Also he should be getting an amount of money each momth.
    And itz time he paid you back for being the nice person you are BEFORE you get really fed up with him

Tell him youl go with him for a bennifit check at cab 
  • Peasmold_01
    Peasmold_01 Community member Posts: 144 Pioneering
    Does he work? If not then he must be on a series of benefits. With three children, one of whom is autistic, he most certainly entitled to claim for their support  Is he claiming carers allowance for looking after his mother or son? Question is, how does feed clothe and generally provide for his children? May I quote Shakespeare  there Appears to be Something Rotten in the State of Denmark. 
  • poppy123456
    Hi,

As advised on your other thread it will be impossible to advise you on this without knowing all of the circumstances. It's always difficult to advise to a 3rd party. If you can speak to him to find out exactly what he's claiming then post back an i'm sure someone will help you further. Or get him to make an appointment for a benefit check with his local CAB.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • poppy123456
    Hi,

Quite a few duplicate posts.

As advised on your other thread it will be impossible to advise you on this without knowing all of the circumstances. It's always difficult to advise to a 3rd party. If you can speak to him to find out exactly what he's claiming then post back an i'm sure someone will help you further. Or get him to make an appointment for a benefit check with his local CAB.

• BigBen
    Thanks for getting back to me Misscleo. We’ve tried taking him cab and he won’t go because he knows he will get found out the sad thing is he’s 43 next month and should know better.
  • BigBen
    Sorry Poppy I had no idea where to post and on the duplicate ones under the same subject my internet crashed and no idea why it made several copies of the same post is there anyway to delete them.
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @BigBen, just letting you know that I've removed your duplicate posts of this message that haven't had any responses on them, and glad to see you've had some good advice from other members. You can find your local CAB here.
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    @BigBen, I've removed the ones with no responses on them so no problem at all!

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.