Hello! How would PIP work for me? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hello! How would PIP work for me?

Options
nadbo86
nadbo86 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
edited October 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi, my name is Nadia. I’m 32 and from Manchester. Became a wheelchair user in 2012 due to spinal stenosis causing severe weakness in my legs and nerve damage from slipped discs (this happened in 2006) was using crutches until I ended up in the wheelchair. 
Move been reading some discussions and am getting slightly worried. I am currently receiving DLA higher rates for both mobility and care components indefinitely. I haven’t been asked about PIP so I don’t fully know how it works and differs to dla. I feel like I might lose out if and when I move over to PIP?!
i am currently working from home, part time and employed, which is great for me. I was 26 when I ended up in the chair and the thought of not being able to work/go out drove me crazy. I was in hospital for 8 months getting neuro rehab and once I came out started work within a couple of months. There are a good few reputable employers that have positions from home which I think is amazing and really let’s me interact with the outside world and keep my grey matter in working order.
if anyone can advise on what PIP is and how it works etc, what change I’d expect to see in allowances would really put me at some ease. Appreciate it and wish you all the best xx

Comments

• skyblue59
    skyblue59 Community member Posts: 13 Connected
    Options
    Hi. I don't know much about it but will tell you what I have been told by someone who's partner has it. He gets a high rate through cancer and it's nearly the same as dla. He gets his each week and has a mobility car with it too. He and his partner qualified for attendance and carers allowance too. Hope this helps. X Linda
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @nadbo86, and a warm welcome to the community! Great to have you here.

Thanks for sharing this with us: fellow work from home employee here, and completely agree with your thoughts!

There's some information about PIP on Scope's website, but if you have any specific questions, do feel free to ask them and our community members will do their best to advise. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,039 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,

PIP isn't awarded based on a diagnosis, it's how those conditions affect you daily. Points are scored through the PIP descriptors based on how your conditions affect you. https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/Global/Migrated_Documents/adviceguide/pip-9-table-of-activities-descriptors-and-points.pdf

When you are invited to apply then evidence will be needed to support your claim, they rarely contact anyone for this. A face to face assessment is most likely as most people have them.

Your DLA will continue until they make a decision on the PIP claim providing you return the form within the timescale. There's 2 parts of PIP, daily living and mobility and standard and Enhanced rates to both parts.

If you have any further questions please just ask.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • nadbo86
    Options
    Aww thanks so much for the replies! It makes a bit more sense now. Will just wait and see I guess.
    i also have a Motability car under the scheme, all of my mobility element goes towards that. I am currently in the process of returning to drive. Hand controls are being put into the vehicle next week which means I will be able to go out! Albeit will still need someone to load and unload my wheelchair, which is a pain! I have a boot hoist but not the roof box hoist, as my wheelchairs weight exceeds the 20kg limit for that! Annoying much?! This is something I’d like to continue with as it will allow me a bit freedom and independence I suppose.
    Thanks for the advice skyblue, Pippa and Poppy xx

• Topkitten
    Topkitten Community member Posts: 1,285 Pioneering
    Options
    PIP is difficult to judge properly as the levels of qualification and attitudes of the assessors vary wildly.

You will be contacted when you need to apply and there is plenty of information and help on here to assist your change-over. Motobility do have a special sequence of events regarding vehicles if things don't work out.

I have an electric scooter in my car and a hoist to get it in and out but my hoist will cope with up to 80 Kg. I am surprised yours is only 20 as there are many different makes and models for various maximum weights.

TK
    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.
  • nadbo86
    Options
    Topkitten said:
    PIP is difficult to judge properly as the levels of qualification and attitudes of the assessors vary wildly.

You will be contacted when you need to apply and there is plenty of information and help on here to assist your change-over. Motobility do have a special sequence of events regarding vehicles if things don't work out.

I have an electric scooter in my car and a hoist to get it in and out but my hoist will cope with up to 80 Kg. I am surprised yours is only 20 as there are many different makes and models for various maximum weights.

TK
    Thanks for your reply TK.
    Sorry if I didn’t explain it correctly, my boot hoist has max weight of 80kg. But I wanted to get a roofbox hoist which would allow me to go out on my own without the need of a second person to load and unload the wheelchair, however the roofbox hoist is the one with a limit of 20kg. So they won’t allow me to have that as my chair is around 40kg.
    I had a look at the descriptors and I score 12 on mobility and at least 10 on the care element. So I don’t know how that tallies with the different rates.
    But yes, like you say I will just wait until I am invited to apply etc.
    thanks again x
  • Topkitten
    Topkitten Community member Posts: 1,285 Pioneering
    Options
    I haven't seen a roofbox hoist and apart from my scooter I carry my wheelchair in place of one of the rear seats after it was removed. However, that means it needs to be lifted in and out manually so it isn't used much.

I am going through the change myself at the moment and am fretting about being reduced from the highest level despite easily qualifying on the test calculation. It seems that some assessors just make things up as they go which is what worries me.

TK
    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.
  • nadbo86
    Options
    Topkitten said:
    I haven't seen a roofbox hoist and apart from my scooter I carry my wheelchair in place of one of the rear seats after it was removed. However, that means it needs to be lifted in and out manually so it isn't used much.

I am going through the change myself at the moment and am fretting about being reduced from the highest level despite easily qualifying on the test calculation. It seems that some assessors just make things up as they go which is what worries me.

TK
    Ah I see, yes it’s such a hassle getting it in and out. I need a person with me if I were to drive myself, as I can get into the car but I’m unable to put the wheelchair away even with the boot hoist as (you probably already know) it requires someone to close it, tie it up so it doesn’t spring open, bring the hoist down, attach it and then push a button to bring it into the boot. All of which I cannot do as cannot stand for more than a minute or two.
    i have heard things like this, that it’s a bit of a lottery with it being dependant on the assessor you get. I hope your application/change goes well and without the unnessecary hassle.
    All the best x

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.