New Style esa and careers allowance — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

New Style esa and careers allowance

Options
brighid
brighid Community member Posts: 23 Connected
hi I’m on new style (contributions based) esa. I’m waiting to hear if I’m in the support group, but that will probably be the case. I’m also caring for my partner ( he does receive pip, so qualifies in that respect). I’ve read about careers allowance and am a bit confused about it. The info seems to indicate that on new style esa I wouldn’t get anything extra even if I claimed, is that right? Can anyone explain in simple terms please? Many thanks 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,985 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,

May i ask what other benefits your partner claims other than PIP or does he work?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • brighid
    Options
    Hi, yes he’s technically working at the minute. Although he is currently off sick and ssp due to end Nov. So he too will be probably soon be claiming new style  ESA, as he’s not fit to go back at the moment. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,985 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    You're right you can't claim carers allowance on Contributions based ESA because they're overlapping benefits. What happens is when some claims carers allowance the carers allowance is taken off the ESA and a carers premium is added, this makes that person £36 per week better off. As you're claiming CB ESA then premiums can't be added to these. For the top up you would need to claim universal credit as a couple and then then you'll be paid the Carers Element in the UC. Before you consider doing this i would advise you to get further expert advice because UC and New style CB ESA is complicated and a little outside of my knowledge and i really don't want to incorrectly advise you. Contact you local Please CAB for a full benefits check.

In the meantime has your husband started his claim for New style contributions based ESA? A claim can be started before the SSP finishes, this will save the few weeks of waiting for payments if he waits for the SSP to finish. He just needs to put a date down on the form for when he the SSP is to end and he will need his SSP1 form from he employer to claim it. Payments for the ESA won't start until the SSP ends.  Fit notes will also be needed, as you know.

Details in the link about how to claim New style Contributions based ESA.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • brighid
    Options

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.