Am I entitled to SDP? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Am I entitled to SDP?

kittycork
kittycork Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi I am in contribution esa support group and also awarded standard pip.
I am single,live on my own and nobody claims carers allowance for me ,no children
My friend advised that I may be entitled to severe disability premium .
Is anybody out there aware of this 
Thanks in advance

Comments

• thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2018
    Hello @kittycork   Pleased to meet you welcome. Thank you for joining and sharing.

Have a look at our benefit on line benefit checker.  It is a handy tool which should give you an idea of what benefits you may be entitled.

You can also find out more information about benefits on our website.

May I also add speak to CAB about anything further regarding benefits.

We are a supportive friendly community. Care and share.

Please ask if we can advise on anything. Some one will know.

Please take care

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @kittycork welcome to the community!

@thespiceman has given you some useful links to check out!

If there is anything else that we can help you with then please do not hesitate to let us know! :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @kittycork, and a warm welcome to the community!

You can find out more about SDP and eligibility criteria on the Turn2Us website here. There's also a benefits calculator on this gov.uk page which may give you an idea of whether you could be eligible. Good luck, and please do keep su updated!
  • millyb1992
    millyb1992 Community member Posts: 7 Listener
    Hiya im on income related ESA and in the support group im getting the hugher amount also iv recently been awarded PIP on the 27th of september theres a few things id like to know if anyone can help please i got a letter last week saying im entitled to SDP as extra income an i had to send back a peice of paper with a few questions on it i dont have a carer or anything and living as a single person i sent this back but havent heard back as of yet does this mean i have claimed for it and does it affect your orher benefits and how long does it take to recieve the payment does it get backdated from when you claimed pip or qhen it was only awarded?? Any info will be a big help thaks x
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

A piece of paper? If it was a form called IS10 then yes this will have been the form for SDP.

It can take 4 weeks at least and sometimes longer for a claim for SDP.

It's backdated to the start of the PIP award if you qualified at that time. It doesn't affect any other benefits.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • millyb1992
    Ok thank you im not sure what form it was it was just a letter i had to fill out asking if anyone gets carers allowance for me and i had to answer a few questions and sign and send it back to dwp i sent it back on the 2nd of this month so will i hear by then end of the month ?
  • poppy123456
    The 2nd was only last Tuesday, that's just 8 working days. If you sent it by post then it's most likely only just arrived. It could be another 4 weeks or more yet.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • millyb1992
  • Government_needs_reform
    Government_needs_reform Community member Posts: 859 Pioneering
    @millyb1992 yes the form you recieved was indeed the IS10 which sets out regarding care or no care in you case. And does ask those questions on that form.

When I got my PIP I did the form over the phone and was added to my ESA straight away..

As this was posted and like @poppy123456 has stated will take some time to come through as you may not know, if your accepted for SDP it will then be added to your ESA and it is not added to you PIP payment 
    ⬇️
    I created one of the campaign election videos for Labour, and Jeremy Corbyn,
    This is a new version of Emeli Sande, Hope "You Are Not Alone
    I highlighted everything that's wrong with this country from benefits, NHS, UC etc, but now we have to put up with the hate now that is the Tories. 

You can see the video here.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=P5o8hRHh9IY

• millyb1992
    Ok thanks for the help
  • millyb1992
    Hi i was wondering if anyone can help me i got my sdp awarded today its been added on to my esa but i havent recieved any back dated payment yet does anyone know why x
  • poppy123456
    Hi i was wondering if anyone can help me i got my sdp awarded today its been added on to my esa but i havent recieved any back dated payment yet does anyone know why x
    Any backdated payments are made separately to your usual ESA payments. IF you want to know for sure when you're going to receive it then you'll need to ring ESA and ask them.
  • millyb1992
    Ok this is what the letter says can you make any sense of it it says about a over payment but im not sure why as i havent worked or anything so not sure why there would be an over payment? 
  • poppy123456
    It says arrears of £1286 for the SDP are being held back because DWP think it's possible that you've had an overpayment of a benefit and they are checking whether a recovery of this overpayment must be made.
  • poppy123456
    If you don't know what this possible overpayment is about then you'll need to ring ESA and ask them. They will be able to give you more information.
  • millyb1992

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.