Why has my reconsideration reduced my ESA? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Why has my reconsideration reduced my ESA?

Options
gemlou
gemlou Community member Posts: 8 Listener
Hi all, I need some help , iv been refused pip and iv asked to reconsideration,  how long will it take to find out the outcome , also can someone explain why my esa as been decreased also 

Comments

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @gemlou welcome to the community!

It normally takes between two to eight weeks for a decision to be made regarding a mandatory reconsideration – provided that the reconsideration request is logged on their system. If you ever want to find out more about the status of your claim, then you can contact the PIP helpline on 0800 121 4433. 

In regards to your ESA, I am not sure, hopefully members will be in contact soon to advise you.

Please let us know if there is anything else that we can help you with! :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,189 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    HI,

As you've been refused PIP then your ESA decreasing is most likely because you were receiving the severe disability premium on top of the ESA. One of the criteria to be eligible for this is daily living PIP or mid/high rate care DLA.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • ricky1040
    ricky1040 Community member Posts: 125 Pioneering
    Options
    yea thats exactly why its a reduction of like 60 quid a week i think. see the people who are genuine and have this happen i truelly feel so sorry for them. it must br awful
  • gemlou
    Options
    Reducing my esa as dropped 150 a fortnight now so I'm receiving 200 fortnight even though I sent in consultants letters, epilepsy nurce letters and my care plan but still declined me 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    SDP is £64.30 per week. May i ask what group you're in for ESA and what PIP or DLA award did you previously have?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • gemlou
    Options
    I was receiving 375 fortnight for esa and was in the support group and receiving 70 odd pound weekly dla 
  • Topkitten
    Topkitten Community member Posts: 1,285 Pioneering
    Options
    It seems strange that if you are ill enough to get the severe disability premium you were not awarded PIP. I know that the PIP system get things wrong often but that seems crazy that you should go from severe to none.

TK
    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.
  • gemlou
    Options
    That's it, that's what is happened to me, I'm now waiting for a reconsider now , when I had that atos nurse come mine even my carer was their and told her stuff it's like she made her own mind up before she even came to see me, not only as my money gone close to job seekers money it's making my depression and anxiety worse and iv been having more fits because I'm under that much stress 
  • gemlou
    Options
    I just hope they sort it out fast because the money I'm receiving is just paying my bills and a bit of food nothing else , I just hope they admit they were wrong 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Topkitten said:
    It seems strange that if you are ill enough to get the severe disability premium you were not awarded PIP. I know that the PIP system get things wrong often but that seems crazy that you should go from severe to none.

TK
    SDP was being received because of the DLA award. As gemlou hasn't been awarded the daily living PIP then they don't qualify for the SDP.
  • gemlou
    Options
    This isn't right what's happening,  Iv got a funny feeling now esa will send me a form for early review because of this and I cant cope with the stress , of going through much more, I'm a strong person but this is taking it's all out of me not just mentally but physically also , I just hope it's sorted soon as 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    They can reassess you at anytime. If you are sent more ESA50 forms in the future then it will have nothing to do with your PIP award. Good luck the PIP.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.