Adding named driver — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Adding named driver

debs182
debs182 Community member Posts: 26 Connected
Hi everyone, fingers crossed I'm going to get enhanced mobility on pip (that's if the dwp follow the report descriptors) my question is can i add a named driver that already has their own car? I want to add my father, he already owns a car but I would like him named on mine too in case I need him to take me to appointments etc, his car has been playing up lately so if it breaks down I'm screwed because I rely on him to take me places.
Thanks

Comments

• wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Contact your insurance company and ask to add an extra driver, have your dads details to hand, age, date of birth, address, any driving convictions ect and your debit / credit card to pay the extra premium, if you do get enhanced mobility you could have a mobility car but you would have to give up your weekly mobility allowance from PIP, but you do get a new car all you have to pay for is the fuel and any insurance excess should you have an accident and there should be not a problem having dad as a named driver. Depending on how much you need a car and your annual mileage and the reliability of your current car the decision to get a mobility car is up to you. Good luck and safe driving.
  • debs182
    Thank you for clarifying things, yes I'm willing to give up my allowance for a car as it will help with the school runs, my mum or daughter do the school runs at the moment and they don't drive, I can't walk far so I can't do it, having a car would mean I can do the school runs if im feeling up to it and would save my mum and daughter doing it in all weather ?
  • atlas46
    atlas46 Community member Posts: 826 Pioneering
    Hi

On Motabilty scheme, you can have two named drivers, at no extra costs.

You can change a named driver, again at no costs.

You can add a name driver for £75 p.a., so you have 3 named drivers.

I just change a name driver, when needed.

Hope this helps.
  • exdvr
    exdvr Community member Posts: 331 Pioneering

@debs182 

Hi,   Just to clarify I think I'm correct in saying that with Motability there can only be 2 drivers on the lease, one of which must/may be you.  That means that you can only add one driver apart from yourself.  If however you buy your own car there should be no problems adding extra drivers as there would be no lease agreement complicating the issue.

Please someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Best wishes.

DLTBGYD

• Topkitten
    Topkitten Community member Posts: 1,285 Pioneering
    Motability vehicles have 2 named drivers for no cost but a third does cost a fee. You can also specify up to 6 temporary drivers for no fee. Changing the main namas is simply but the driving rules are very important to understand.

No matter who drives the usage MUST be ONLY for your benefit. So you cannot let someone borrow it if theirs isn't running. Someone going for food for you, for example, is ok even if you are not in the car but they cannot then pop to somewhere else for their benefit. I appreciate that it may not be checked up on but do be aware that those that do not qualify are often jealous of those that do and are likely to complain anonymously if you breach the rules regularly.

As for parking.... your Blue Badge (assuming you have one) can only be used by you when you are in the car and not lent to whoever drives your car if you are not in it.

The other rules that apply are an lower age limit of 25 for certain higher level vehicles like my Renault MPV I needed for the boot space size. Also these higher cars require 5 years driving ability for whoever is named. Lower level vehicles only require 1 year experience I believe. Also be aware that if a driver has many points on their licence they are not likely to be allowed to be named. Motability will insist on talking to the named drivers but I do not know how much checking they do on said driver to check they are being truthful.

TK
    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.
  • atlas46
    atlas46 Community member Posts: 826 Pioneering
    Hi 

Please see my earlier post.

You can have two named drivers on motability scheme. It is not a requirement that the PIP recipient is a named driver.

As previously explained, all it takes is a simple phone call to change a named drive.  This means if I phone now, I could change a named driver instantly.

It is completely flexible and there are no limits on number of times, you can change.

You can add named drivers for £75 pa, say if you need three drivers.

The only restrictions are based on the car and young drivers, were excess  increases.

• debs182
    Thank you all for your replies, it will be my first time getting a car on mobility as it's my first time claiming pip, so I've got to register for a blue badge too, I'll be adding my dad as he's the one who takes me to my appointments if im unable to drive, my current car isnt very suitable for my needs, i need a car that's higher off the ground so I don't need to stoop down to get in.

@Topkitten I get what you mean about jealous people, but I won't be borrowing the car out unless like you say I need my parents to do some shopping for me, my dad will be looking to get a new car himself soon anyway when he's saved enough cash for one, hopefully his current one doesn't break down before I get mine lol
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,358 Disability Gamechanger
    Named drivers must live within 5 miles of the disabled customer. They will consider adding a driver outside of this millage where it's essential to support the customers mobility needs but they will ask questions.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • debs182
    Named drivers must live within 5 miles of the disabled customer. They will consider adding a driver outside of this millage where it's essential to support the customers mobility needs but they will ask questions.

That's ok he lives less than 2 miles away ?
  • Topkitten
    I too have to use high off-the-ground vehicles and, as I only had a wheelchair at the time, my first car was an SUV. By the rime I got my current car I had begun using a scooter as well as a wheelchair and so went for ah MPV. Both cars meant an up-front payment which was difficult but I managed it both times as well as having to cover the cost of the hoist last time. I am now due to change again but I have to wait for my PIP decision before I can either get a new one or give up driving, which also depends on my health settling down and being moved to more suitable accommodation.

Here's hoping things go well for you @debs182.

TK
    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.
  • debs182
    @Topkitten I've been looking at the small suv's as they require little to no upfront payment on some, i hope you find the accommodation you need and your health gets better ❤
  • exdvr
    exdvr Community member Posts: 331 Pioneering
    @debs182        I also went for a small MPV, with a hoist so that my scooter fits in sideways [no dismantling!!] and still leaves all 5 seats useable.  It's a Citroen Berlingo Multispace diesel automatic which suits my needs even though the build quality isn't nearly as good as my previous Skoda Yeti. The extra width of the boot space is great and it returns around 53mpg so it could be worth looking at.

Best wishes.

Best wishes.

DLTBGYD

• debs182
    @exdvr thank you, I'll definitely take a look at that, that's where the cost comes in with me needing an automatic, I've only ever driven one car in the 5 years since passing my test and that's my reliable Peugeot 307, has never let me down and hardly ever had to have any repairs done, mind you it only had 18'000 on the clock when I purchased it and that was from a disabled man. I've been looking at the Peugeot 2008 and the vauxhall crossland x but need to go and look in person really with my dad which I'll do as soon as I've shifted this nasty lung infection ??
  • Topkitten
    My current car is a Renault Grand Scenic and the boot size lets me just swing the scooter in without being turned sideways which leaves a little room for bags and stuff. One thing I find really useful is that the rear seats can be taken out of the car completely, which I have done, and this allows me to put my wheelchair in place of the seat and I can secure it using the normal safety belt. I also use one of the seat belts in the boot area to secure the scooter. It's a 7 seater auto diesel hence the rear belts. There is a non Grand version which is a little smaller.

I have been very impressed with the car and the options it gives me with cruise control and telephone answering on or behind the steering wheel which means I hardly ever have to take my hands off it. It also comes with ABS and Traction Control and the only downside is that the speakers are a bit naff for music but great for telephone use. It has various menu's and allows for up to 5 phones connected by bluetooth and has a proximity key so I never have to take the key out to get into or out of the car which locks when I move a few metres away from it. There is a manual option for the key but I've never used it because there was a little black button right next to each door handle which, when pressed and with the key in range, unlocked all the doors. There is also the added safety of not locking itself if you get out of it without the key and when it doesn't beep it reminds you to get the key to lock it. The display is digital and the car comes with a built-in road map and destination (sry the name escapes me right this minute) setter with road display which is only a little to the left of the speedometer. I've had no problems with it at all in the 3 years I've had it.

By comparison my previous vehicle was a Puegot 308 which had less bells and whistles but was maybe very slightly more comfortable. The big disadvantage was that despite a drop down part to the boot it was still an unfortunately high lift to get the wheelchair in (I had no scooter at that point) and the boot was pretty much full with the wheelchair collapsed and laid on it's size. I could nit imagine any way they could have fitted a hoist into the boot to make it easier and, when I couldn't lift my old steel wheelchair that high I had to buy a recent aluminium wheelchair which was much lighter. Lifting the wheelchair in and of the 308 was more difficult than it was in the Scenic.

I did look at a Yeti and the boot was higher than the Scenic but slightly smaller in flat area space but I disregarded it when the Skoda garage did not have an auto for me to try out.

In general terms, for mu type of car, I have found that Ford and Vauxhaul tend to be the highest up-front cost with Puegot and Renault a little less however, if they are clearing out prior to a new update they often reduce the prices a lot. I did look at a Honda once but they were very very expensive with Mercedes even more. I did try out a Toyota which was quite reasonable but didn't really have sufficient boot space. I was going to test drive a Fiat 500 which was surprising large inside and high enough off the ground but the auto was shared between 3 or 4 garages and although I saw it could not test it that day and would have had to wait 3 or 4 weeks before it came back that wouldn't have given me enough time to sort the paperwork out. I did fancy trying out a Citroen out but the sales guy was very unhelpful and was short with me when I asked to compare the boot size with one my daughter spotted. The guy was short with me and very uninterested so I didn't bother.

The name I couldn't remember was Sat-Nav, lol!

TK
  • debs182
    There's too many options out there lol, I can see it taking me a while before I decide, I've also been looking at the Renault captur, it will be better when I'm well enough to go and look at these cars in person ?
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,358 Disability Gamechanger
    The Vauxhall crossland and crossland X which is a slightly bigger version are both very nice cars and fairly new to the market i believe. The down payment on the crossland isn't too bad and not as expensive as some of them. The Vauxhall Mokka is a really lovely car too and nice and high off the ground which makes it easier to get in. I test drove the fiat 500L and fiat 500X but thought they were both absolutely terrible cars to sit in and drive. In fact probably one of the most uncomfortable cars i've ever sat in and even worse to drive.

There are automatic cars available out there with just a small down payment but it really depends on what you want. The higher the spec car the more it will cost you. If you're one of those fussy ones that like leather interior and heated seats for example then you're talking about a fairly high spec car so cost is more. Add any adaptions onto this and it can bring the cost quite high.

It's certainly fun test driving those cars and finding one that suits you and your needs. The disability advisers at the dealers are always very helpful. When i test drove the cars when i was choosing mine, i knew what liked and didn't like within minutes of getting behind the wheel. The deposit doesn't have to be paid until you collect the car so that's an advantage. Some cars take longer than others, again it depends on your choice, adaptions needed if any and whether the car is at the dealers or not. I also found that making a short list helped too because otherwise the choice is endless. Look at the down payments and decide what your maximum payment is and go from there. That new car smell is the best and knowing that you have that added extra of worry and stress free motoring is wonderful.

Motability isn't for everyone and some will say it costs more but my opinion is that not everyone claiming benefits can get finance for a new car to use their mobility payment this way, so motability is the only option.

Have fun when you do look and maybe think about taking your dad with you for extra advice. Hope you feel better soon!
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness