Disabled Games — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Disabled Games

Ami2301
Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
Hey everyone!

I have been brainstorming some ideas for a fundraiser, but the more ideas I made a note of, I quickly realised that I couldn't think of any games/activities that everyone could be involved in so I was wondering if you all could help me out please :)

Many thanks in advance! ?
Disability Gamechanger - 2019

Comments

• Geoark
    Geoark Community member Posts: 1,463 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Ami2301 I think you have already realised the problem, there are going to be very few games or activities that are suitable for everyone.

My best suggestion would be to have a number of games/activities that are suitable for different abilities to be as inclusive as possible.

Having run a number of community events, where age differences were the biggest factor, rather than ability, I have found different activities aimed at different ages to be the best route, though I am often surprised how quickly they soon become very mixed. One of my favourite examples was when I did 'street art', coloured chalk and a path with pathing stones. Initially no one was interested until I found a couple of students and asked if they would start it off. Very soon we had very young children helping to improve the art of elderly members and others mixed ages co-operating with each other. So my initial idea of doing awards based on the 'very best', then some awards based on age or family soon went out of the window.

The other advice I would give is don't try and do it all yourself. Invite others to come along and run activities. Just remember to send out invites to join in early, and don't be afraid to use local free resources. One good place to advertise what you plan, and especially if you are open to others getting involved is community council meetings. Local to me these are often attended by people from other organisations and charities. This helps to promote other organisations around that may be of help to those you are hoping to attract. Of course the amount of space you are likely to have could put in some restrictions. However in the past I have invited the British Legion, a local charity which provides music lessons for local children for free or at very inexpensive prices, Age Concern, local toy library and others.

These work for us as in return we can let them have stalls to promote themselves. Though have kept it down to one or two external organisations for any one event. Just tailor your invites to suit what you are trying to achieve, in this case I would probably concentrate on those who provide games and activities for disabled people.

Not having an activity suitable for everyone is not a problem, as long as everyone feel that they are included or have the opportunity to be included. Our community events are always set up and ready 1 hour before the event, and a personal invite is sent to one family who has a child with severe autism. This is so they can come along when there are not many people around and the music has not started. They have never come along, so I have always made sure I took them some goodies from the event so they did not feel 'left out' or ignored.

Also keep yourself or someone else free to walk around and talk to people. Even if they cannot take part this time you can get feedback as to what they might include to improve their experience or involvement and give you more ideas if you do another fund raiser at a later date.

Hope this helps

As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

• Ami2301
    Thanks @Geoark!

I really appreciate you taking the time to help me out with this.I have been in contact with the community fundraising executive of SCOPE and I am currently in the middle of putting ideas together, no date set in stone yet until we have a solid plan. I would love for everyone to be involved, anyway they can. 

So the theme is Superheroes! A) I am obsessed with superheroes ? B) Everyone of us are having a daily battle with our conditions/illnesses. Superheroes such as Professor X, he is paraplegic, Iron Man has PTSD, Daredevil is blind, Deadpool has cancer, just to name a few. My point is, comic book/superhero fans idolise these extraordinary humans because they are awesome. They don't let their disabilities define them and nor should we! We should celebrate that

The aim is to involve everyone, all ages. 

If you ever have some more free time I would love to hear more about your experiences and your feedback on some of the ideas I have got, or if you have any suggestions I would really appreciate that! :)
  • Geoark
    Geoark Community member Posts: 1,463 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Ami2301 I am more than happy to help out if I can. 

Work can get very busy for me, though we are just going into one of our quiter periods, so at the moment I am on leave, though still logging in evey day to catch up on outstanding work. 

Something else to consider is if you know where the event will likely take place and if you will require a temporary event license. This has not been a major burden for us, but does help to focus the mind on some things that can easily be overlooked. You can find out what is required locally by googling your council name and temporary events notices.

As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

• Ami2301
    You're very kind, thanks @Geoark!

Thanks for the tip, i will read up about it more over the next week or so :)

Brightness