3 years of hell so I complained — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

3 years of hell so I complained

pennymortiboy
pennymortiboy Community member Posts: 8 Listener
Hi All,
I was on high rate DLA way back in 2013 and I had a car however PIP came along in 2015 and took my car off me they also downgraded my care and mobility to standard, you might as draw a picture with crayons for Reconsideration but I still wasn't having it and took them to appeal, I couldn't attend unfortunately because I had Sepsis however due to all of my paperwork the panel awarded me both to enhanced but only until 2019, last year 2017 they did a review and once again downgraded my care, I'm in a wheelchair and mainly bedbound at 46, once again the reconsideration was pointless so I took them to appeal and the panel were furious with PIP because of what they'd put me through but it turns out if you appeal against a review all they can do is adjust your levels back to your original claim,  the review ends up pointless, suddenly my claim expiration finished in July and not next year, so suddenly I'd claimed 3 times in 3 years 2 appeals and 2 reconsiderations, I started to panic expecting a further reconsideration and an appeal and I suddenly decided I wanted to comain so that's what I did, I complained to PIP and the lady I spoke to was incredibly sorry, 2 days later my letter came 24 points for mobility but only 11 for care, I went mad and burst into tears however the lady from the complaints dept took over and even though it was a reconsideration she did it all for me, 2 weeks later a gentleman from PIP rang to apologise and told me they'd awarded points for a question that really hadn't been looked into correctly 
Believe me it's worth speaking upto be heard and if you want to do the same check on here just how many points you get per secton and go on the .gov website with regards to how to complain, or you can ask me 
Thank you for reading
Penny  

Comments

• Mylittlesheep20
    Mylittlesheep20 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Hi read your post I was on high rate care until I had to claim pip nthey put me on standard care know was so scared to complain just in case they took me of it all together but know when my pip runs out next year if i  they still get standard care I'll complain about the points like you said thankyou

• pennymortiboy
    My advice is to find a local.charity company who'll help you fill out your paperwork, they help with all types of benefits, they understand the questions, also take a proper look at how many points you can receive per question and sub question ( on here ),, if they do not change your package you'll have to go through reconsideration 1st, maybe it'd be worth asking your local councillor or MP to write a letter, mine did and if you still get nowhere fret not take them to appeal, a representative from the charity will go with you and speak for you or take someone who'll do the same, yes it takes an extra 6 ish months but you'll still be paid and hopefully if you win they'll have to backdate the difference also, but fight it, you know where I am it's not like I do anything else ?
  • debbiedo49
    debbiedo49 Community member Posts: 2,904 Disability Gamechanger
    Well done and thanks 
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    fret not take them to appeal, a representative from the charity will go with you and speak for you or take someone who'll do the same
    I doubt very much that a Tribunal will entertain someone, other than yourself, to speak for you. The Tribunal will want you to explain so that they can question you.

• Yadnad
    I complained to PIP and the lady I spoke to was incredibly sorry, 2 days later my letter came 24 points for mobility but only 11 for care, I went mad and burst into tears however the lady from the complaints dept took over and even though it was a reconsideration she did it all for me, 2 weeks later a gentleman from PIP rang to apologise and told me they'd awarded points for a question that really hadn't been looked into correctly 

So do I get this right - you made an official application for a MR AND complained to the DWP as well?
    And simply because of that complaint you had telephone dealings with the DWP who generously offered to work with you so as to give you the award you wanted?

• pennymortiboy
    No, I made a complaint based on having to reapply and having everything cancelled, my husband and I had no money for 5 weeks, when my paperwork came through I went through my points to discover a question had been missed which was very importent and I was able to prove via email, I didn't know when I made my complaint what I wold be awarded but the complaint was not based on the claim but on the review 
  • pennymortiboy
    When I had my tribunal my representative did all the talking, I was asked 1 question at the end and it was something he wouldn't know the answer too 
  • Yadnad
    edited October 2018
    When I had my tribunal my representative did all the talking, I was asked 1 question at the end and it was something he wouldn't know the answer too 
    In which case this goes against everything that has been said on this and other forums regarding who is to speak at a Tribunal. All have said that the claimant must do all of the talking with the Rep pointing out things of a legal nature.

How would a rep know how far you could walk, what difficulties you would have when bathing, washing yourself, going to the toilet etc?

Mind you I have never had any help or advice with regards to my three assessments for PIP in the past 5 years. I, like the majority of us just fumble through from one thing to another knowing very little of what we should really be doing or saying.
    You were extremely lucky in having the help you had.
  • debbiedo49
    debbiedo49 Community member Posts: 2,904 Disability Gamechanger
    We should be celebrating!  Maybe this is how we get the system fixed? Not moaning or generalising.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.