ESA 3 Form and backdated error payments — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ESA 3 Form and backdated error payments

Options
miracleboy
miracleboy Community member Posts: 26 Connected
Hi

I am a bit confused, I am in Support Group CB ESA and have had a phone interview where the person filled the form in for the error due to ESA where it needs to be backdated. Was this form the ESA3 form, as in did the phone call deal with it all including SDP and EDP?

Just that I have read to claim backdated error of SDP I have to fill in ESA3 or does the phone interview deal with it all?

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,018 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,

Yes, it will have been the ESA3 form that you filled in over the phone as it can be done this way.

SDP needs to be claimed separately once they've assessed you for the income related top up. Once the other premium has been successfully added to your ESA then you can ring and ask to claim SDP. Details of backdating for the SDP are all explained by myself in your other thread here. https://community.scope.org.uk/discussion/48547/esa-ir-backpayments#latest

The huge backlog for all the claimants that were incorrectly paid means this claim can take 12 weeks or more. They will write to you once it's been added and then pay you anything they owe you.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • miracleboy
    miracleboy Community member Posts: 26 Connected
    Options
    Hi Poppy

Thank you so much it is truly appreciated. I got a bit confused as others had said do the form now. I missed a phone call the other day left a message wanting to ask a quick question it was to do with the backdating form I had filled in on the phone 9 weeks ago. I am hoping they will phone back tomorrow, just wondered what the quick question could be.

I did phone the place where they went through the form on the phone, and the person said it is being processed no problems with it just that it was now with another department being done.
  • Comet775
    Comet775 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    I am in a similar situation. My carer phoned today to ask them for a form, as the form they sent me a month ago was misplaced. I was told that they had sent me 3 esa3 forms since 2016 and that I am no longer entitled to back payments as I did not send them back?

I did not recieve 3, just the one I got last month. I was always wondering why I was put on contribution based for so many years after being transferred from IB which I had been on for a few years. I am very confused. The man on the phone was rude and it's all been really upsetting for me.

I battle with depression as it is, none of this is my own fault. If they had sent me a letter out before I'd have filled it in and sent it back with help from my advisor. I did not recieve it, but they say it's on the computer that 3 were posted out since 2016.

I'm not even sure if I'm being backdated or if I am one of the people who are inititled to it. I had worked most my life before 2003 but after losing a child and a history of mental and physical abuse I couldn't cope anymore and still can't. Now I feel like I'm being punished more for a mistake made by the DWP. I don't understand all the jargan and the ins and outs of everything like most people and find it hard to understand what they mean most times.

They basically, as far as I can see were saying I can apply for ESA3 income related but without any back payments. I'm very confused. To be honest it's made me very depressed. I've just had months of PIPS accessments too which were harrowing to say the least and had my money all cut down too and mobility taken off me. I was even too afraid to appeal that. No wonder people are killing themselves.
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Comet775, and a warm welcome to the community.

I'm so sorry to hear about your experiences and how they've made you feel, it sounds like you've been through a really tough time.

Hopefully some of our more experiences benefits experts on the community will be able to offer some guidance, but please do let us know if we can be of assistance in the meantime. At the very least, I hope it helps being among others who understand.
  • Comet775
    Comet775 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Thank you @Pippa_Scope Tbh I don't even care if I get backdated. I just wanted to get another form of them, as I need to go to the denist and can't afford to pay the bills without help. It was the person who made the call for me who enquired about backpayments with the recent news asking if I qualified as one of those affected.

I just feel like when the phone was passed to me to confirm details that the man was very aggressive in tone and that I've done something wrong. I've been trying to get to my advisor too and finally got through and told  to contact them when I recieve the form. I'm just wondering if it's going to make things worse for me sending the form in. The guy sound like he had it in for me or that I'd done something terribly wrong.

After PIPs I don't think I can go through all this anymore, it's so degrading and it's only a matter of time when I have to go to another f2f for esa at some stage.It's good though other people are on here and reading through some of the posts I'm not alone. It's sad too though that so many people are being treated this way. Thank you and all the best.
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Truly sorry to hear this, @Comet775. I know it won't solve all your issues but if dental treatment is an issue, it may be worth looking into NHS Help with Health Costs and applying for a HC2 form, which you can do here. If you do still have the other element of PIP, this extra money and help PIP entitles you to may also be worth a read.

And finally (!), if you do feel you'd like to make a complaint about how you were spoken to on the phone, you can find the DWP complaints procedure here. I know it doesn't take away from the worry that benefits applications can cause, but I hope this somewhat helps!
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Hi,

Being entitled to the Income Related top up on your ESA will totally depend on your circumstances. Household income, living with a partner that works, savings/capital all count when assessing you for the top up.

If you have an ESA3 form from when they sent you the last one then i'd advise you to get some help to fill it out, return it to DWP and they will assess you for the top up.

As for the forms you were supposed to have received in 2016 and didn't return, i'm not sure what happens about that.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • danny1234
    danny1234 Community member Posts: 12 Listener
    Options
    what happens if i dont return forms
  • poppy123456
    Options
    danny1234 said:
    what happens if i dont return forms
    Then you won't be assessed and could potentially be missing out on extra money. However, if you know you're not entitled to any Income Related top up because of your circumstances such as partner that works, household income and savings/capital then it's pointless returning them.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.