Can I get the SDP backdated? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Can I get the SDP backdated?

tracymc
tracymc Community member Posts: 8 Listener
edited October 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi iv been in recite of dla(middle rate) since 2009 and iv been on esa since 2012 so Dwp told me , but I have recently changed over from dla middle rate to pip enhanced rate (awarded from 31 October 2018) Iv never lived with anyone and no one has ever claimed carers allowance for me and I should have been getting a premium sdp £62.45 pw but I didn’t know about this until yesterday so iv rang dwp and claimed the ib10 form because my dla stopped and changed to pip they said I should here within 7-10 days but does anyone know if I can get any off the sdp backdated? Plz tyvm in advance 

Comments

• thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @tracymc   Pleased to meet you .

Thank you for joining and sharing.

Understand benefits are complex and confusing. I would contact CAB for benefit advice. I know they can help with form filling in and anything else.

I am sure there will be some one from our community who may be able to advise.

We are a friendly, supportive community.  Care and share.

Hope that helps.

Please take care

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @tracymc welcome to the community!

Please let us know if there is anything else that we can help you with! :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @tracymc

On this post about Severe Disability Premiums, @BenefitsTrainingCo said:

the SDP will be worth an extra £62.45 a week, paid on top of the personal allowance, support component and enhanced disability premium which are already part of income related ESA in the Support Group. The SDP is paid IF you are 'treated as' living alone, AND no-one is claiming Carer's Allowance for looking after you AND you are getting either Daily Living component of PIP. You should get your SDP backdated

But I will ask them to take a look at your circumstances to see if this is applicable to you.
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,360 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

It sounds like you were transferred from Incapacity benefit in 2012? Is this correct? If so then it's quite possible that you're claiming just the Contributions based ESA and not Income related. Contributions based ESA is £110.75 per week, Income Related is £127.15 per week, without the SDP. You may have a little transitional protection extra on top but does any of those figures seem right for you?

I'll be able to help you further once you answer that question.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Hi @tracymc
    As Poppy correctly identifies, it may be that there was no income-related ESA added to your claim when you went onto it in 2012. This however would have been an error on the part of the DWP, as by the sounds of it you should always have received the income-related element to get your SDP.
    If this is the case, then yes you should be able to get it backdated, provided you provided all the correct info to the DWP when you were put onto ESA.
    Once you've completed your claim form, I would send it together with a letter asking for the full backdate, based on official error on the part of the DWP.
    Hope this helps.
    Kind regards,
    Mary
    The Benefits Training Co:

• tracymc
    Hi,

It sounds like you were transferred from Incapacity benefit in 2012? Is this correct? If so then it's quite possible that you're claiming just the Contributions based ESA and not Income related. Contributions based ESA is £110.75 per week, Income Related is £127.15 per week, without the SDP. You may have a little transitional protection extra on top but does any of those figures seem right for you?

• tracymc
    Poppy iv sent in all documents to say no one is living with me a letter from myself confirming this also my son written a letter comfirming that he does not live at my address also iv send in 5 years council tax letters stating I recive single occupancy and they are refusing me again for the 2nd time I don’t know what to do next now they saying something about sister living with me bec I said she looked after me 24/7 maybe it’s this but she has now written them a lettter stating that she does not live with me , I don’t know what else I can do as I’m telling the truth no one lives with me no one gets carers allowance for me and I just didn’t know I was entitled to this benefit for all these years you’ll iv changed over from dla to pip 
  • poppy123456
    It could be because you said your sister looks after you 24/7 but as she doesn't live with you, doesn't claim carers allowance for looking after you and you live alone then there's no reasons why you shouldn't be entitled to the SDP.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • tracymc
    Hi,

• poppy123456
    I'm not sure why you quoted the above without leaving a reply... to further answer your question. If DWP still decide you don't qualify then you can appeal the decision by asking for a mandatory reconsideration if you still think you qualify. Have DWP give a reason why they say you don't qualify? as you live alone, there should be no reason not to qualify.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.