Will I be worse off from switching ESA to income related? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Will I be worse off from switching ESA to income related?

howie
howie Community member Posts: 2 Listener
I was recently contacted by the DWP asking if i wanted to switch from ESA contribution to ESA income related....I'd been on contribution based since ESA first replaced incapacity. There has obviously been a lot in the news recently concerning 'under payments of ESA affecting many people..I was wondering if this is why they have contacted me....?I have in fact applied to switch but I'm now worried I'm going to be much worse off....will I be considered 'a new claimant' and therefore likely to receive the 'reduced rate' for new claimants....?

Comments

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @howie welcome to the community!

Unfortunately I am unsure how to advise however there are many knowledgeable members in the community who will be in contact soon to advise you.

If there is anything else that we can help you with then please do not hesitate to let us know! :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @howie
    I have asked the @BenefitsTrainingCo to take a look at your question, I hope they can help.
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

Yes when people transferred from IB to ESA they were automatically placed onto Contributions based ESA and weren't assessed for any Income related top up. They realised their mistake and are now contacting everyone that maybe affected.

You will always be on Contributions based but with an Income Related top up if you qualify. Whether you qualify will depend on your circumstances, do you live with a partner that works? Any savings/ capital? or do you live alone?

You certainly won't be any worse off and you won't receive the reduced rate nor will you be classed as a new claimant. You're simply being assessed for the income related top up. Hope this helps.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • howie
    howie Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Thank you so much for clearing that up....its a weight off my mind.
              Most Sincerely, Ian.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.