My GP Surgery refuses to see that I am Disabled. - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

My GP Surgery refuses to see that I am Disabled.

Comments

• Julian
    Julian Community member Posts: 22 Connected
    Pin said:
    What do you want the letter for? It doesn’t actually sound like it would help.

• Julian
    @pin I agree with your logic. I was compromised in to requesting the letter. I really didn't want to go down that avenue but I had no choice. I have since been offered  advice & support elsewhere. It was to do with being accepted as Disabled at a Football Stadium. That's how it started off.

• Julian
    Ah that's a bit different. It is true that it isn't "their job" to write a statement. Other GP's might call it "private work" and charge for it.

Even if they did write such a statement it wouldn't carry any weight with anyone.

You might get somewhere with a private examiner such as insurers use but again it wouldn't carry any weight.

Disability is more often than not caused by multiple conditions. However the cause is irrelevant and it makes no sense that they brought it up.

It sounds as though it is just practice policy to refuse as there can be no legal liability to concern them.

• Julian
    I agree that might be the case so they should have told me straight in stead of the arguing weather I was or wasn't Disabled in their opinion. It didn't give me much faith in me getting support in future. I have had history with my surgery over my Fibromyalgia when I have requested a MRI Scan to investigate more in stead of using pain drugs. Tramadol.
  • Pin
    Pin Community member Posts: 139 Pioneering
    Ah, I see. Have you got a Blue Badge? That’s probably the best way to be “accepted” as disabled in places like football stadia. 

Its difficult, I understand why venues etc have to see proof of disability but since there’s no such thing as being “registered disabled” it’s hard to prove.

social work are worth having a conversation with. 

• Julian
    @pin thanks for your post.I have a Disabled bus pass don't drive no licence/ Hypos.
    The stadium didn't accept my ESA Support group letter. I have since requested a copy of my medical report from last April that put me in to esa support group.It has more details that might support me.?
  • Markmywords
    Markmywords Community member Posts: 419 Pioneering
    You are entitled to a Blue Badge even as a potential passenger. It may have a double use for you.

You'd need to discuss it with your county/London borough council as it would be discretionary.
  • Julian
    Thanks I'll look in to it as there are times I do go on trips with relatives and it would help a lot. Isnt a blue badge stuck with a number plate restricting to just that vehicle?TBF my condition fluctuates from feeling reasonable to turning in to a wreck. It's the invisible disability that people don't see. Chronic pain and fatigue is difficult to see.??
  • Pin
    No, they can be used in any car. You get them through social work.
  • Topkitten
    Topkitten Community member Posts: 1,285 Pioneering
    The likely reasons for the doctors attitude is that most if not everything that is wrong can be countered with appropriate medication and many who suffer them are not disabled. However, I doubt many have them all and it is likely the combination that is pulling you down. It is difficult to assess how such conditions affect another person and I know this from how I have been treated (or not) in the past. Despite massive difficulties it was almost but not quite impossible for me to attend surgery appointments and therefore doctors who didn't read my records (usually the comment was "too large to read") often minimised my problems or misdiagnosed me. I think it was only when I turned up on a scooter that I was taken seriously and if mum hadn't helped me get it I probably might never have been.

I do wonder why people are always careful with certain medications and suffer more than they need to because of it. If you aren't coping then take what you need to do so and argue with the doctor later if that's the only way they will listen. Far better to argue with the doctor than saving it up until you lose all hope and take everything in sight. Careful usage gives the impression that you might not really need something but never take too much deliberately to make a point, only what is really needed. The point to make to the GP is that if you are given enough you might cope with work, if not you must be disabled as you cannot work. Unfortunately GP's love throwing Tramadol at problems and then warning people (even frightening them) not to use too much.

TK
    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.
  • Pin
    “I do wonder why people are always careful with certain medications and suffer more than they need to because of it.”

i have enough problems without throwing an opiate addiction into the mix. Additionally, I can’t function with tramadol to the point that it means I have a lesser quality of life with less pain and tramadol than with more pain and no tramadol.

I spent a while being treated for cancer and when it looked like the next step was palliative care, I was very clear that being myself was more important than being in no pain.

People make decisions based on their experiences and circumstances; I’m 30 and if I started on the morphine or tramadol I was offered, what was my next step? So i take cocodomol and know that if I need it in the future there are other options.
  • deb74
    deb74 Community member Posts: 814 Pioneering
    hi julian. i have ME amongst other things and when my ME symptoms started i went to the doctor who told me to go away and said it was all in my head although i gave him a long list of symptoms. unfortunatley a lot of doctors don't take conditions like fibromyalgia or me seriously although they have a massive impact on our lives.
  • Wallace
    Wallace Community member Posts: 6 Listener
    Wow that’s awful. GP’s dont like FM because it is not understood or researched to find what causes it.  It used to be called the GP’s disease ironically.  Really sad for you guys that get such a hard time from medics.  Have you got all your benefits sorted,  Go to the advice shop apply for PIP.  Make sure you’re getting your benefits.  Chronic pain and chronic fatigue suck and diabetes type 1 at your age, a complete life changer.  Have you applied for the Freestyle Libra sensor to help with controlling your diabetes.  Do you have a pump, pen or needles (archaic). Diabetics do not get an easy time.  Ask at your diabetic clinic. (I have a diabetic son, diagnosed at 10, now 28). Having hypos does not stop you from holding a driving licence.   The patches enable you to scan and see which way your BM is going .  Hope I’m not teaching Granny(lol da)to suck eggs.  Don’t take that of anyone. Grrrr   
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    Wallace said:
    Chronic pain and chronic fatigue and diabetes type 1 at your age, a complete life changer.  Have you applied for the Freestyle Libra sensor to help with controlling your diabetes.  Do you have a pump, pen or needles (archaic). Diabetics do not get an easy time. 
    I have to butt in here. Type 1 is not classed as a disability as such. 
    I am a Type 1 amongst other things, and it really is not a life changer. I'm 70 and use needles etc. OK it is hard to control  sometimes but you learn to live with it.
    To be honest I have never disclosed my diabetic issue on any DWP claim form for benefits - it's just requires a bit of self control and adaption.
    As for Chronic Pain, with help from opiates it can be controlled so as not to really infringe on having a reasonable level of life.

In my opinion people sometimes allow their issues to take over instead of thinking themselves lucky as there are 1,000's of others having worse difficulties.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    Wallace said:
    Wow that’s awful. GP’s dont like FM because it is not understood or researched to find what causes it. 
    A lot more GPs are becoming more and more understanding about FM now than they were just a few years ago. I was diagnosed with it 7 years ago and back then it was awful because very few of them didn't even know what it was, never mind understanding it. You still do get a few that don't understand it but nothing like it was. I've had some very understanding GPs in the last few years. If you have a GP that doesn't understand it or calls you a liar and says there's nothing wrong with you then it's time to find another one that will understand because there's lots of them out there.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    Yadnad said:

In my opinion people sometimes allow their issues to take over instead of thinking themselves lucky as there are 1,000's of others having worse difficulties.
    I don't often agree with what you say and keep my thoughts to myself a lot of the time. On this occasion i totally agree with you! I have to say, well said too!
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • debbiedo49
    debbiedo49 Community member Posts: 2,904 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2018
    I was just replying to a similar post about accepting who I am, a person with a disability and how Scope has helped me with that. I also have health issues such as fibro and mental health issues and I am quite certain that either are included as disabilities. You should tell your g p this is not good enough and either raise a complaint or change your g p. My main g p did as little as possible to help me with bit his of my main conditions so I make sure I see someone else now. It’s hard enough trying to get the right help never mind putting up with ignorant people who should know better. 
  • Topkitten
    Topkitten Community member Posts: 1,285 Pioneering
    edited October 2018
    I'm sorry to disappoint you @Pin but Cocodamol is a combination of Paracetamol and Codeine (the latter being an opiate) and this does have addiction potential and issues. There are very few pain killers other than the 5 nerve pain killers which are not opiates.

TK
    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2018
    Hello one final point with this post I think is important is we have the power and knowledge to educate those in the medical profession.

All the time I have and am ill I continue to press and look for alternatives and consider my research .

Had this last year with my mental health looking for easy solutions.  Not all Doctors are open minded and we must remember that.

Many have and still not looked at alternatives.  Looked at the wider spectrum of seeking the differences that certain aspects of health solutions can offer.

I am and have been an advocate of my herbs and spices . Looking for answers to every day misery of depression, anxiety.

The torment of addiction the residues of the only pain I have the physical and muscles. Aching every day.

There are so many things we can learn from the Orient, Chinese and Indian Medicine. Yet we as a community can choose and decide what is best for us.

I have recently spoken to my Doctor about my choices I make with regarding to some alternatives and is very open minded.

Use of one Spice I use. You have to understand this is for me and never say to anybody to try this but it helps me. Under SCOPE rules but it is helping.

Many of the medical profession are coming around to the ideas of looking at other cultures and their medicines. Usually because the medical profession are encountering those with that knowledge.  Those areas of the country.

That have populations of the countries that use their own medicine and ideals. From Asia and beyond.  Recall first time visit to a Chinese therapist and medicine  consultant.

Consulted her because tired of taking over counter meds for pain relief. Harming my already damaged stomach through addiction and been sick every morning.

Has to be something else.  Informative and stimulating.

Understanding the way the body works is important that in my opinion and we need to be aware of that.

Why I write a lot on health and others aspects of this called by my username and have advised my self that we have the knowledge and education to help our selves if we can.

Doctors are human and after all if we can use them for any injection of humanity and plead for some honesty. Ask them about solutions they may not have all the answers but we can guide them to find support for our troubles and be there to listen.

After all we go to the Doctors to soothe our brow and wish to be cured as we all know.

The end of a very long final point lol

Take care

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • Wallace
    Wallace Community member Posts: 6 Listener
    Diabetes type 1 is a life changer, like a sudden allergy and anaphylaxis is. Anything that knocks a person down and is a potential killer disease shrinks  life into a bubble is.  Comments made here are a microcosm of our lives.  A young child diagnosed with type 1 heeds a lot of care and support and has to consider they cannot just dive in a pool and indulge in sporting activities without preparation to prevent hypo during such activities.  School has to be prepared and informed about their diabetes, so the whole world and his dog be acmes aware that the child is different, but it is invisible and so badly understood.  The media shows glowing pictures of happiness and a wonderful life, but the reality is not.  I’d diabetes was so ‘easy’ to adapt to, why bother with millions of pounds of research?  Why is one of the most expensive treatments by the NHS.  Before the discovery of insulin in 1921 by Sir Frederick G Banting, Charles H Best and JJR Macleod, then purified by James B Collup, people who developed diabetes did not live very log after diagnosis.  They died.  The first person to receive insulin made from ox pancreas extract was 14, the first dose caused an allergic reaction, further refining produced a serum which was a success.  Before then diabetics were either sent home to die or put into large wards to die aa very painful and slow death.   
    Most people witnessing a hypo believe the person has been drinking alcohol and avoid contact, or ask if the need more insulin.  Maybe call it a disadvantaged life through illness? When in state of hypo, many diabetics cannot help themselves and need help straight away.  Hypos can cause  loss of muscle control and jerking so they cannot put foods and glucose in their mouths and can go into diabetic seizures, They are savage and can cause injuries on falling and death. In my books that is a disability. My son has broken bones in his feet, caused concussion and been on life support because of contracting the Nora virus. That is disabling. We eat a whole food, clean diet, he is hypo unaware and is a devoted dad and son.
     Some go to A&E for a bump on the head, some deal with chronic pain and fatigue by becoming a recluse.  Surely the purpose of this ‘supportive’ sight is about somewhere where we can talk freely and confident about that what concerns us is not open to judgement and criticism for those of you that believe you have all the answers, but keep them to themselves.  Why not try sharing and offer suggestions with how you coped.  We know how fortunate we all are.

I have an adopted family in the Philippines, I send £20 a weeek which gives massive support to my single mum and son.  Her mother developed type 1 diabetes about a year ago.  There is no free medical assistances for medication, they gave her 1 injection a week,
     I talked to her, she said “in the Philippines when we get diabetes we know we have a few months left and we all die.”  I sent a bit more for her meds, but it wasn’t enough, she became incontinent and virtually stopped eating, she died in February, she had become silent and was skin on bones.  DKA and organ failure.  My adopted daughter slipped into abject grief and depression.  
    I wanted to send her the equipment to keep her alive, but it is not allowed.  Mae slipped into terrible depression,developed chronic pain and total exhaustion, she mourned for months. Oddly she gained a lot of weight, so I sent her money for a blood test, she was diagnosed with hypothyroidism and prescribed thyroxine.  She is on the mend and. Recovering from her grief.  Her granma died 2 years ago aged 91, her mother was 54.  I will continue my support.  Diabetes is 100% death because of poverty,  Does that make poverty a disability?

Brightness