Lost — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Lost

Options
Basilsmum
Basilsmum Community member Posts: 3 Listener
I feel so lost. I still have 8 months to wait for therapy. It’s so hard. Been self harming a little to ease the feelings. It’s good just to vent a little. 

Comments

• EmmaB
    EmmaB Community member Posts: 263 Pioneering
    Options
    HI @Basilsmum
    It's so crazy the amount of time people have to wait for therapy...
    Are there any other things you are trying to do, beside self harm, to try and cope?  Is there anything in particular you are finding difficult - I'm just asking in case I can come up with any useful ideas/books etc?
    Best wishes.
    Emma
  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Basilsmum welcome to the community

If you are having thoughts of self harm, it is important that you discuss them with someone who is qualified to help. Please call the Samaritans on 116 123 (free) or email them at jo@samaritans.org

Thank you for opening up to us, I imagine it couldn't have been easy for you. Is there anything that can distract you from having these thoughts and preventing acting on them?
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • Basilsmum
    Basilsmum Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Options
    Thank you both. I have found some new crochet patterns to try - keeps my hands busy. Staying downstairs where hubby is; I only self harm privately. I just want to disappear - to not have both the physical and mental pain. 
  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    It's great that you have crotchet to try! 

Does your husband know how you're feeling?
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Welcome to the community @Basilsmum

There is some great support and information on the MIND website about self harm, they suggest that you try to recognise triggers and identify distractions.

It is awful the waiting times for therapy but I hope coming here and chatting will help.  If you have any questions, then just let us know :)
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • EmmaB
    EmmaB Community member Posts: 263 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @Basilsmum

The crochet sounds great - something to concentrate on and creative too.  

If you are able to do any sort of exercise at all then it really is the wonder 'drug' for mental health - perhaps your husband might do something with you as it can be more motivating to do it with someone?

Mindfulness is also a really great thing to do, have a look at www.franticworld.com to find out more if you are not familiar with it - it's does take practice [which is why it is called mindfulness practice!] but a lot of people swear by it.

I hope you can find a few things to get you through the coming months.

Best wishes.

Emma

Brightness