Can I claim carers allowance for my disabled partner and she claim for me? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Can I claim carers allowance for my disabled partner and she claim for me?

mendipmark
mendipmark Community member Posts: 22 Courageous
I get pip (both elements), my partner gets pension income guarantee credit, housing benefit, pip, council tax benefit, pension. She gets elements for me. We claim disabled extras already.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 118 Listener
    so are you saying you claim pip for both daily living and mobility as intended for support as your co dition qualifies and recognises you need help daily ? yet you are in a position to give help to a disabled person with their daily needs? wow!  i dont understand how that is possible
  • mendipmark
    Yes. Yes it is possible. Im not confined to a wheelchair.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 118 Listener
    i just thought pip was paid to help the disabled pay for extra help that their disability meant they needed to manage daily living ....guess i was wrong
  • mendipmark
    If we are both disabled but can do different things for each other that otherwise would need a carer why shouldnt that attract carers allowance anyway? As long as the claim is legitimate in need terms why not. With esa and dla this dual carers claim was allowed so I am wondering if this was possible under pip.
  • Firefly123
    Firefly123 Community member Posts: 530 Pioneering
    If getting a state pension then normally not. I'm sure others will have better advice 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,349 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

You say you already get disability extras in the pension credit? This sounds like you could both already be claiming the severe disability premium (couples rate) which is £128.60 per week. As you both claim a qualifying benefit then you're eligible for this on top of the pension credit. Have a look at the breakdown of the pension credit to see exactly how much you're claiming and if the SDP is included. If it is then you can't claim Carers allowance as well as this because a claim for carers allowance would mean you'll lose the SDP and SDP couples rate is more than if you both claimed carers allowance for each other.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • poppy123456
    vickyanne said:
    so are you saying you claim pip for both daily living and mobility as intended for support as your co dition qualifies and recognises you need help daily ? yet you are in a position to give help to a disabled person with their daily needs? wow!  i dont understand how that is possible
    Yes they can. I claim carers allowance for my daughter and i also claim PIP. We both claim PIP for completely different reasons and her claim isn't for a physical disability. I look after her in other ways that don't include physical things. She's more than capable for washing/dressing and walking.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    You can only apply and see if you get awarded Carer’s allowance for you both, good luck with your application.
  • poppy123456
    wilko said:
    You can only apply and see if you get awarded Carer’s allowance for you both, good luck with your application.
    That would not be advised if they're both claiming the SDP on top of the pension credit because they would lose it if they were. The disabled extras could mean this as there's no other disability extras with pension credit.
  • mendipmark
    Thanks everyone
  • Debs55
    Debs55 Community member Posts: 18 Listener
    My husband claims carers for me I'm on enhanced mobility, standard care (from enhanced) for pip.
    His pip increased to enhanced care on his recent review and he was already on enhanced mobility. He is no longer able to care for me. How do I cancel this? Worried about losing the money but want yo do the right thing. Any advice? I'm medically retired from the NHS and that money stopped his income esa which is why his esa money was lost hence claiming carers. 
  • poppy123456
    Debs55 said:
    My husband claims carers for me I'm on enhanced mobility, standard care (from enhanced) for pip.
    His pip increased to enhanced care on his recent review and he was already on enhanced mobility. He is no longer able to care for me. How do I cancel this? Worried about losing the money but want yo do the right thing. Any advice? I'm medically retired from the NHS and that money stopped his income esa which is why his esa money was lost hence claiming carers. 
    Your husband needs to ring carers allowance to cancel the claim. I'm assuming you're receiving a works pension which is why your husbands ESA stopped?

Once the carers allowance stops i'd advise a visit to your local CAB for a full benefits check. You'll be able to give them all of your details as a couple and they'll be able to advise you about what benefits you can claim, if any. It's impossible to advise this on an internet forum.
  • Debs55
    Yes you are right I did get work pension which is why his esa stopped. Thanks for the advice I will go and see cab and stop.carers. I appreciate your help. 
  • Debs55
    His health has deteriorated and he now gets enhanced care. But also I was concerned that having pip and being a carer could cause a problem with his pip claim. That's why I thought I should advise them of a change . To say he can't care for me anymore. I've never claimed care for looking after him. 
  • poppy123456
    I claim PIP for myself and carers allowance for looking after my daughter. I have a physical disability my daughter has autism and a learning disability. My daughter doesn't need any physical help because she's completely mobile and it hasn't gone against my claim. Claiming carers allowance with a PIP claim is possible.
  • mendipmark
    Thanks all. The rules are so blooming complex even some in the DWP dont understand. Its now possible to do degree in it.

Have a good and trouble free new year.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.