Citizens advice bureau , i'm confused — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Citizens advice bureau , i'm confused

Options
dave5080
dave5080 Community member Posts: 10 Listener
So i had my PIP form and thought it would be a good idea to have help from the CAB to fill the form in etc so i had an appointment with them but was 2 weeks away, so in the meantime i scanned the internet for advice about filling in the form . The good advice i found was to fill in a diary that covered 1 week stating how i cope with my disability etc and a letter from my partner who cares for me on a day to day basis. I thought this was a good idea and gives the assessors detailed information about how i cope. ( i suffer from chronic nerve tissue pain all over body and facet joint pain in my lower back) i can barely walk some days.
On the day of the appointment with CAB i had a 7 day diary, and  a letter from my partner ( carer )  I showed the diary to the CAB lady , she said " a complete waste of time doing a diary or letters etc , the PIP assessors don't look at them " i was gobsmacked , she went on to say " i wouldn't put them with the PIP form , it may go against you" i felt a little down beat to say the least but anyway she started to fill the form in, it was unbelievable , she literally filled it in herself, she hardly asked me any questions . It must have taken her 15 minutes to fill it in. 

She said she will send the form off to them but the form has so little detail, just a sentence here and there. The lady said she has got 25 years experience in filling in these forms and said they just want to see how you cope with your problem concise and to the point , not page after page of whats happening to you , they just won't read it . I sort of know where shes coming from but do you guys agree ? 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,

No sorry i don't agree. Those forms should be filled in with as much information as possible about how your conditions affect you. The diary you wrote and the letter from your partner should have been sent as evidence with the form.

There's nothing you can do about the form now, if it's already been sent. Expect a face to face assessment as most have them. Did you send any evidence with the form?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Not only I am being told that the advice on the CAB's website is at best misleading but having been there once I would never go back. In fact I don't have any faith in the deemed expertise of any charity that says that they can help in my locality.

Consequently I was left with no advice or help off anybody for the three assessments for PIP that I have been through. Obviously it showed - I received the grand total of 0 points for all three.

This poster is another example of how dangerous the CAB can be.
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I don't agree with her about the diary.  The assessor might not look at it but it certainly wouldn't go against you.  A concise diary might be useful if you have to go to appeal.  At my appeal the panel based most of their questions on my diary.  I was awarded enhanced both components by tribunal.  Disability Rights site has a good draft diary in table form.

Otherwise, she might be right that all that's necessary is to say how your disabilities fit the descriptors.
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I have to agree with Matilda, the PIP acessment is about how your disability fits in with the descriptors to obtain points to get an award, but sending in a dairy of how your disability affects your daily activities may not be read but is still evidence that can be referred to if you need to go to an MR or further.
  • dave5080
    dave5080 Community member Posts: 10 Listener
    Options
    I was advised by her not to put any additional evidence with the form as it may hinder my application. She basically told me to trust her and with her 25 year experience in writing and dealing with DLA / PIP forms etc . Reading between the lines i got the impression that she was saying prepare yourself for an appeal. I felt dejected and a little confused at the time but now wished i had sent the additional evidence but will send it now. 

Trying to get a medical note from the GP is also another story, he basically said the DWP will write to him if they want further evidence and he said he would tell them how my condition affects me so i thought ok if thats the way the system works but again after doing some research i have found out that the DWP very rarely contact the GP for info . Sorry from going from one topic to the next . i just feel at a loss at the moment, i feel defeated before anything has happened.

I want to thank you all for all the advice and help you are giving me also.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.