ESA and learners loan — Scope | Disability forum

ESA and learners loan


Just wondered if you could give me some advice. 

I have been on contribution based ESA in the support group for several years now (was incapacity benefit) although I’m still trying to manage my condition I was looking into a college course. This is 2 hours a week but would also mean I would need to volunteer 12 hours a week. At this moment I’m not sure if I’m capable but would like to try. However to do this course I would need a student loan to cover the course fee.  

I have phoned the benefits agency and they said I can do the course but if I get any kind of student loan it can effect my benefits?

I don’t want to start the course and lose all my benefits. And then not be able to cope with the course due to my health. 

Are you able to provide any advice on this? 

Thank you 



Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.