Where do I stand with these benefits? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Where do I stand with these benefits?

rob123
rob123 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
Hi Everyone, just heard about this under payment so i phoned the dwp and was told that not only am i on the contribution base but also on the income related one as well, for years we have been paying rent,council tax and even prescriptions, my wife and i do not go to work , my main benefits are Industrial injury benefit and high care pip and low mobility ...my question if anyone can help is where do we stand on this

Comments

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @rob123 welcome to the community!

I am unsure however there are very knowledgeable members in the community who will be able to help you and will be in contact with you soon.

I wish you all the best and please do let us know if there is anything else that we can help you with! :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • rob123
    thank you so much Ami2301
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,926 Disability Gamechanger
    rob123 said:
    Hi Everyone, just heard about this under payment so i phoned the dwp and was told that not only am i on the contribution base but also on the income related one as well, for years we have been paying rent,council tax and even prescriptions, my wife and i do not go to work , my main benefits are Industrial injury benefit and high care pip and low mobility ...my question if anyone can help is where do we stand on this
    Hi,

Are you claiming ESA as a couple? If not what benefits does your wife claim, if she isn't working?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • rob123
    hi as a couple also i get industrial injury  benefit from 1989
  • poppy123456
    rob123 said:
    hi as a couple also i get industrial injury  benefit from 1989
    As you're claiming as a couple then this will be Income Related and not contributions based because you can't claim as a couple when claiming Contributions based. As you're already claiming Income related then i would expect your receiving the correct amount of money.

Your Industrial injuries benefit will be classed as income and will reduce your ESA amount. Claiming Income related will entitle you to claim free prescriptions, dental and eye tests.

What's the reason why you haven't claimed housing benefit and council tax reduction?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • rob123
    Hi Poppy, we do get so much off our rent but we still have to pay £65 a week rent and our council tax is almost £100 a month, we are not entitled to free prescriptions or dental work 
  • poppy123456
    As you claim ESA as a couple then this will be Income Related and this will qualify you both for free prescriptions and dental. It's impossible to be claiming contributions based benefit as a couple.

£100 per month council tax seems a lot. Have you applied for the council tax reduction? Do you have anyone else living in your house other than dependent children?

Your IIB will be counted as income for means tested benefits.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.