ESA Support Group 3-year end. Is there a review? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ESA Support Group 3-year end. Is there a review?

wptd17
wptd17 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
Hello

My wife was assessed and awarded the ESA Support Group payment for 3 years which ceases in November 2018. She is adamant that no further payments will be made after December 2018 and I'm just wondering if it means that she will be assessed again after 3 years or is she right in thinking that the payments will stop with no access to any more?

She is also not able to claim any other benefits because of the household income and wondered what she should do going forward as she is still very much unable to work?

Thanks

Comments

• Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @wptd17, and a warm welcome to the community!

Hopefully some of our members will be able to help you out with your ESA query.

Does your wife claim PIP? This isn't means-tested, so it could be an additional source of income. You can do an online PIP self-test here.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

Her ESA won't stop, even if she hasn't be reassessed. The time they give you in the Support Group is just a guide, some are reassessed before that time and others go over that time. They can''t find you fit for work for ESA without a face to face assessment. Hope this helps.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • wptd17
    Hi Pippa & poppy123456

Thanks for your very quick responses and will speak with my wife.

I wasn't sure how the payments could just stop and will mention the PIP as well.

So if she thinks that the payments come to an end they won't and she should have a face to face assessment to check fit for work status?

Best regards

wptd17
  • poppy123456
    No, they won't just end. You can be re-assessed at anytime for ESA but if you haven't been re-assessed when the end date arrives your payment continue. Lots of people go over their time. My advice, there's nothing to worry about because her payments will continue. They will send her another ESA50 form eventually. When that will be is anyone's guess.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • wptd17
    Thanks once again poppy123456
  • wptd17
    One last question, sorry!

A daft question but my wife says she wasn't means tested, it was based on her NI contribution.

I don't think this is relevant but perhaps you could expand for me?

Thanks
  • poppy123456
    You're right it's not relevant. Those that claim contributions based in the Support Group are paid it for as long as they remain in the group. The above advice still applies.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.