ESA backpay? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ESA backpay?

Didi60
Didi60 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
I waited over 9 months to get esa as they kept canceling my appointment but was told the don't pay the back money for the 9 months it that right

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,345 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,
    What appointment did they keep canceling? Have you been receiving any money in the past 9 months? or were you found fit for work so your money stopped?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Didi60
    I was on severe disable allowence they moved me over. Every time they sent me an appointment at Guildford for an assessment when I got there my notes had not been sent to them so I would go all the way to every assessment and sent home again and wait for another appointment this went on for 9 months when I finally got to see the doctor it and swap over to esa I was then told they claim wouldn't be back dated it started when I saw the doctor but everyone else has said there's was back dated to when they were told it was going to change the name of the benifits 
  • Didi60
    I was and still am deemed unfit for work I go for an assessment every year but still deemed unfit for work
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Didi60,
    Did you get benefit whilst you were waiting for the appointment? You should have had a conversion date which would have been a short while after you got the notice about converting to ESA. That's the date from which your benefit became ESA (it shouldn't have been more than a few weeks after you got your conversion notice).

If there was a gap in payment then that's definitely wrong and you should ask for a mandatory reconsideration. That's the first step in challenging a benefit decision. If there wasn't a gap in payment, then there may not be anything to challenge, but it would depend on the circumstances. What result did you get from the assessment, and is the ESA you get now a different amount to your SDA? Do you get any income-related ESA?

Sorry for all the questions. What I can say is that if there is a gap in payment then that doesn't look right. You did everything you were supposed to do and should have had continuous entitlement to benefit.

Will
    The Benefits Training Co:

• Didi60
    I was on severe disabled allowance and signed off from work permanently until retirement then they decided to switch me over to Esa they never gave me a date to when it went over so when it was awarded I was told that they don't pay back money it was when I was told by them I had got Esa I was deemed unfit for work and then put on Eas 2 weeks after the assessment. I got £35 a week mot on Esa than Sda I don't know if I get an income form of Esa I know I get support 
  • leannem85
    leannem85 Community member Posts: 6 Listener
    Hi , I’m on CB ESA in the support group and have been in support group for several years. I was moved into the contribution based ESA group from incapacity benefit When ESA was introduced . I have done an online benefit questionnaire and it says I’m entitled to IR ESA ? I don’t have savings and I’m not pip . Should I be owed backpay of IR ESA? I was never given any IR ESA only CB ESA . I feel that I should have received IR ESA too . Thanks Leanne 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,345 Disability Gamechanger
    leannem85 said:
    Hi , I’m on CB ESA in the support group and have been in support group for several years. I was moved into the contribution based ESA group from incapacity benefit When ESA was introduced . I have done an online benefit questionnaire and it says I’m entitled to IR ESA ? I don’t have savings and I’m not pip . Should I be owed backpay of IR ESA? I was never given any IR ESA only CB ESA . I feel that I should have received IR ESA too . Thanks Leanne 
    DWP are in the process of contacting all those that moved across from IB and you'll be contacted at some point in the future. There's 1000's of people to get through and this could take some time. There's no need to contact them. If you do qualify once you're assessed then you'll be back paid everything they owe you.

If you live with a partner that works then this will most likely mean you won't be entitled to any Income related top up.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • leannem85
    leannem85 Community member Posts: 6 Listener
    Hi Poppy . Thanks for the information ??  I’m single, as I said the benefit calculator stated that I’m entitled to IR ESA £15+ per week . I will contact DWP to apply for the IR ESA . I haven’t ever received any Premiums while being in the support group of CB ESA , I don’t have a partner and I don’t have savings . I get £112 per week . I should be entitled to more than this . Thanks 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.