Incapacity to ESA GRRRRRRR — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Incapacity to ESA GRRRRRRR

StanB
StanB Community member Posts: 21 Connected
Hello
Im very confused over these new rulings I've seen on the news tonight I don't know if im owed any backpay or not. Long story short I've been on various benefits for 10 years now, Incapacity Benefit/ESA/PIP when they transitioned everyone to ESA from Incapacity I was put into the Work Group but not for long I was reassessed and put into the support group and was on Higher Rate Mobility Lower rate care where I stayed Im now on PIP Higher Rate Care middle rate Mobility, I'm hoping you might be able to clarify this minefield for me I have always lived alone and have never had a carer........Thank you in advance 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,360 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

Seems like you should be claiming the Income related top up but if you have savings/capital it will affect this. Contact ESA.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello I expect you where claiming DLA and was moved over to PIP these two benefits are not related or linked to each other regarding your ESA benefits. When you where reacessd and placed in the surport group ESA this had no bearing or effect on your PIP benefit.
  • poppy123456
    edited October 2018
    wilko said:
    Hello I expect you where claiming DLA and was moved over to PIP these two benefits are not related or linked to each other regarding your ESA benefits. When you where reacessd and placed in the surport group ESA this had no bearing or effect on your PIP benefit.
    I don't believe this is correct. Reading the question again, i think that Stan could have been one of those that Transferred to ESA from IB and may not have been assessed for any income related top ups but as i stated above, claiming these will depend on circumstances and savings/capital.

@StanB you need to check what ESA you're claiming and see if it's Contributions based with an Income Related top up. If you have the income related top up the Support Group with Enhanced disability premium is £127.15 per week. Severe disability premium is another £64.30 on top of the ESA but it's not automatically awarded. (depending on savings/capital and other income of course)
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • StanB
    Thank you guys for the swift response 
    Im still as confused but I now have a starting point, May I ask when they transitioned me over to ESA from Incap Im not really sure what year it was it was definitely pre 2012 it may have been 2011 or earlier when did these switchovers first start. Another thing will these Back Payments be dependant on DLA? as I understand it and Im probably wrong everything is dependant on the level of the care component of DLA whenever I was transitioned I was put on the lower rate of care higher rate Mobility does this then scupper any and all chances that I might be owed a back payment?. 
  • poppy123456
    They are only backdating to November 2011, so if it was before that if you're entitled to the payments you will lose them.

The easiest way to help you is to look at the amount of ESA you receive every week. If it's approx £127.15, which is £254.30 every fortnight then this is Support Group rate (income related) with Enhanced disability premium added on the top.

Yes there is another premium added onto ESA if you qualify but as you were claiming low rate care then you wouldn't have qualified for the severe disability premium when you were claiming DLA.

As you now have a daily living award of PIP, does anyone claim carers allowance for looking after you? do you have any savings/capital?

So, if you can check the amount of ESA you receive every fortnight then i'll be able to help you further.
  • StanB
    Hi Poppy
    Ok I've been going through my paperwork I am no longer on DLA I am now on PIP, however, I have an award letter from the DWP from July this year from the ESA just before I transitioned over to PIP it tells me Im getting 
    Living Expenses                     £73.10
    Disability Income Guarantee  £16.40
    Support Group                        £37.65
    Income-related amount Total  £127.15     Weekly

When I went over to PIP my ESA was increased to £382.90 a month

One thing confuses me when this blunder was first noticed were peoples benefits amended to cover the deficit from that point onwards or did people continue to get the incorrect amount

I can tell you I have no savings nor have I ever had a carer 

Thank you

• poppy123456
    Thanks. This confirms that you're claiming Income Related. You weekly figure is correct but your monthly figure isn't. ESA fortnightly is £254.30.

You say when you moved to PIP your ESA increased to £382.90 per month? In my calculations that's not an increase. £254.90 every 2 weeks doesn't add to £382.90 per month.

Your other question.... people continued to get the incorrect amount.

What you need to look at is what your ESA amount was when you were claiming DLA and what it is now. Seems like to me that your calculation of £382.90 is incorrect.

You are claiming the Income Related Support Group amount, which is correct. However, since you moved to PIP and you now claim daily living part then you qualify for the extra severe disability premium on top of your ESA which is £64.30 per week extra. It's not automatically paid because of the criteria. You need to ring ESA and ask to fill out the IS10 form over the phone to claim SDP. It can be backdated to the start of your PIP award and can take at least 4 weeks, possibly more to claim.
  • StanB
    Poppy
    I do apologise your correct I'm on £382.90 a fortnight, could the increase be the SDP? 
  • poppy123456
    Ah yes, that's more like it. Yes that amount says you claim Income Related ESA Support Group with the SDP added on top. You wouldn't have been entitled to the SDP when you were claiming DLA.
  • StanB
    Well that's cleared that up so im guessing im owed no back payment then and have been on the correct benefits since 2011 well I must say Poppy thank you its been explained much clearer to me in just the few exchanges with you than years of letters from the DWP 

Poppy your a Diamond 

Thank you 
  • poppy123456
    You're welcome. Sometimes the DWP aren't the best people to ask lol
  • leannem85
    leannem85 Community member Posts: 6 Listener
    Hi . Can anyone help I’m so confused :/ I have been on CB ESA for several years,  I was moved onto CB ESA from incapacity benefit years ago when ESA was introduced and I was put into the support group of CB ESA  , I have filled in a benefit questionnaire online and it says I’m entitled to £15+ per week IR ESA, aswel as the CB ESA that I currently receive . I get £112 per week CB ESA . I’m single and I don’t have savings . I haven’t been able to work due to MH illness for many years.  Surely I have been underpaid by Dwp? As I should have been receiveing the IR ESA too ? Please help ?? 
  • poppy123456
    leannem85 said:
    Hi . Can anyone help I’m so confused :/ I have been on CB ESA for several years,  I was moved onto CB ESA from incapacity benefit years ago when ESA was introduced and I was put into the support group of CB ESA  , I have filled in a benefit questionnaire online and it says I’m entitled to £15+ per week IR ESA, aswel as the CB ESA that I currently receive . I get £112 per week CB ESA . I’m single and I don’t have savings . I haven’t been able to work due to MH illness for many years.  Surely I have been underpaid by Dwp? As I should have been receiveing the IR ESA too ? Please help ?? 
    I replied on your other comment on the other thread and the answer is the same.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.