Disabled people
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

If my benefit is reviewed would I get more or should it be incapacity benefit?

mike1956mike1956 Member Posts: 4 Listener
edited October 2018 in Disabled people
Hi everyone,

i was was a police officer and injured on duty which put paid to my career following a knee injury. I was awarded invalidity which was to remain in place for life, I have had further surgeries and now I am about to have a complete knee replaced.

my benefit was not to be removed or reduced without leave of the tribunal which awarded it. I’ve never had it reviewed however should it be would I get more or should it now be incapacity benefit ...??

thanks

mike 

Replies

• Ami2301Ami2301 Community Co-Production Group Posts: 7,625 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @mike1956 welcome to the community!

Sorry to hear what has happened, I am unsure in answer to your question however there are very knowledgeable members in the community who will be in contact with you soon to advise.

I wish you all the best and a speedy recovery after your operation! :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • mike1956mike1956 Member Posts: 4 Listener
  • Liam_AlumniLiam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,113 Pioneering
    edited October 2018
    Hi @mike1956,

Welcome to Scope's online community! It's great to have you here.

I've moved this into a category so other members of our community can offer advice and support. :)

Just to confirm, is this benefit relating to PIP?
    Liam
    Hi

It actually came under industrial injuries...when awarded it was at 20% i believe its more now...ive had 4 further surgeries and now to have a complete knee replacement next week. The disability has never been reviewed as to capacity or increased incapacity

Thanks in advance
  • mikehughescqmikehughescq Member Posts: 6,259 Disability Gamechanger
    I've heard this "benefit to not be removed without going back to appeal" line a few times recently and it's a bit concerning as a tribunal has no such power. Once they have issued a decision and DWP have decided to not challenge it further then it gets put in place but can be reviewed at any time if circumstances allow.
Sign in or join us to comment.