Depression — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Depression

Diogenes42
Diogenes42 Community member Posts: 27 Connected
What do you do when you've been through all the treatment but your depression doesn't go away? I'm really struggling now.

Comments

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Blocking out all the bad stuff/people out of my life helped. May I ask what triggered your depression? 
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • Jazzguitar
    Jazzguitar Community member Posts: 180 Courageous
    I have the same problem Neville Pearson
  • janekim96P
    janekim96P Community member Posts: 44 Courageous
    Yeah me too and anxiety jazzguitar life is unbearable ?
  • janekim96P
    Ami2301 said:
    Blocking out all the bad stuff/people out of my life helped. May I ask what triggered your depression? 

• janekim96P
    How can it be possible to block out the bad people and bad stuff can be possible with this illness?Ami2301over 25 year's and numerous therapists later plus meds most brain's don't work that way with this awful disease ?
  • Ami2301
    I have depression and anxiety, you're right it is horrible. I've had counselling, tried different meds, we all have different coping mechanisms. I am on Sertraline for anxiety, and it has helped a lot. I should clarify what I meant, I'm sorry. My depression is due to my past and present. I have learnt to accept that I can't change the past but I can change the here and now. If people are bringing me down then I will say 'I'm not putting up with it anymore'. For instance, my so-called dad. He mentally and physically abused me since I was a child, I couldn't stand up for myself. He tried to mentally abuse me again this year, I said to him 'No more, all you've ever done is abuse me one way or the other, I'm not going to be made to feel physically sick because of you.' He has done worse but ever since standing up to him and blocking him out of my life I feel so much better and happier. I'm finally free of him.
  • Diogenes42
    For me,it was ill health that triggered it.
  • Ami2301
    I'm sorry to hear that, how are you feeling now?
  • Diogenes42
    Still very depressed to be honest
  • richybluecfc
    richybluecfc Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Hi to everyone here. I'm Rich with spastic CP and right hrmiplegia. Over the last 5 years I have struggled with depression and anxiety, even resorting to self harm as some form of release. I have tried the medication avenue as well as talking therapy. Occasionally they've both helped but have now decided to do things on my own with some help from friends who are just there to listen. Having someone to chat to is the greatest gift.  I'm always around for a chat. Just send a message. Rich ?
  • Ami2301
    @Diogenes42 I wish I knew how to make you feel better :( do you have any hobbies or anything that lift your mood?

@richybluecfc always here if you need someone to talk to too :)
  • Diogenes42
    That's much appreciated @richybluecfc
  • exdvr
    exdvr Community member Posts: 331 Pioneering
    My health really started to go downhill around 15 years ago and around that same time I lost friends and close family to cancer. Depression set in hard and never lifted.  Therapy and medication didn't help and things have just got worse, to the point that my marital circumstances have deteriorated beneath the point of no return and the only way out that I can see is to end it myself.  I have come so close to it on several occasions, most recently yesterday, but so far have chickened out at the last moment.  If anyone asks how's life I have to say that the alternative looks far more attractive than continuing this existence.  One of these days it will be all over.

Best wishes.

DLTBGYD

• Misscleo
    Misscleo Community member Posts: 647 Pioneering
    Me too is all i can say.
    Its of no use people giving the "pull yourself together stuff" even if they polish it up a bit. We cant help ourselves ir we wouldnt  be ill in the 1st place
  • JulesA65
    JulesA65 Community member Posts: 33 Courageous
    I have suffered with chronic depression for many years due to my childhood. However, I take Fluoxetine (recently increased) and am very lucky in that I have a job in which people understand me as they work with mental health all the time. I have a partner who is very supportive. But people can't see the depression and anxiety, they see the effects of what happens when something happens that is outside of my routine. A lot of people say they understand depression when they don't have a clue. I try not to worry about things I can't control, and have learned to take a step back at times. it's hard i have to admit and not an easy thing to do. Maybe as I've got older, i get to thinking is it really worth stressing over? But if you don't have a support network it can be hard. We all need someone to talk to, confide in and listen to us when we're having a bad day. Someone who won't tell us we're being silly when to us the problem is a major obstacle and we're fretting like fury. Don't be ashamed of your depression, embrace it. it makes you who you are and if people do't like it that's their problem not yours 
  • Ami2301
    Well said @JulesA65

Brightness