ESA underpayment - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ESA underpayment

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,365 Disability Gamechanger
    No because there's no timescales. There's huge backlogs and it could take more than 12 weeks.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • jmaw
    jmaw Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    just received letter to say that £3280. has been issued dated back to 2013 ...money not in my bank as yet...my question is do I have to claim extra premiums now or is that automatically done for  me...comments welcome
  • poppy123456
    Hi,
    Extra premiums will depend on circumstances. Do you claim PIP daily living or DLA mid/high rate care? If so does anyone claim carers allowance for looking after you and do you live alone or classed as living alone or live with a partner. Sorry but with so little information it's impossible to help any further.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • jmaw
    PIP daily living allowance   .live alone and no one claims carers allowance....used to to get middle  rate care dla but lost it onrenewal and did not care to appeal
  • poppy123456
    You should be eligible for Severe disability premium on top of your ESA, this pays an extra £64.30 per week and can be backdated to when you first qualified. Ring ESA and ask to fill out the IS10 form over the phone. If they won't do it this way then ask them to send you the form in the post. It's a very simple form and takes minutes to fill in.
  • jmaw
    Thank you very much for both the help and your time. Much appreciated
  • JulianandFiona
    JulianandFiona Community member Posts: 6 Listener
    Hi
    My partner & I moved from ESA to IS which benefited us financially at the time; we have since moved to UC. I am not sure if you can help following the ESA wrong payments story in the news today. My partner whom I now care for Julian Pucci was on this benefit when it replaced IB, with me joining him in a joint claim when I needed to give up work to care for him. Do you think we might be due to any underpayments even though we no longer claim ESA but definitely did during the period stated and my partner did receive severe disability allowance element on ESA.

If you are not sure I would be very grateful if you could point us in the right direction.
    Julian receives PIP enhanced for both components. and was getting severe disability allowance element on ESA.

Kind Regards

Fiona & Julian
  • poppy123456
    HI,

I answered your other question but i see you added more information on the post but i'm confused. Here is my answer copied from your other post.

How many hours were you working when your partner was claiming Contributions based ESA?

You say he was claiming the severe disability premium on his ESA? Do you also claim a qualifying benefit like PIP daily living or DLA mid/high rate care? Or was he claiming this before he lived with you? One of the qualifying conditions of this premium is that you live alone or classed as living alone or you must both be claiming a qualifying benefit, no one claims carers allowance for looking after you.
  • JulianandFiona
    Hi,
    Yes, I was claiming SDP with ESA as a single and joint claim, we then moved to IS and now UC. My partner claims CA  and we used to get carer components with ESA & IS which continued with UC. I used to get DLA higher rate on both, now PIP enhanced on both components.

Julian
  • Burny
    Burny Community member Posts: 17 Listener
    Do I automatically get any money backdated or do I have to apply? I was on dla and esa for a number of years before I was moved to pip am I entitled to anything backdated .? . 
  • poppy123456
    SDP is not paid with a joint claim unless your partner receives either DLA mid or high rate care or PIP daily living as well. You both must receive a qualifying benefit to qualify if you don't live alone.

Have you always lived with your partner? and when your partner was working how many hours were they working? I'm sorry but without all the correct information it's impossible to advise any further.
  • Burny
    Bit more info . While on dla I was on higher rate mobility lower rate care .under pip I'm on enhanced rate mobility. And middle rate care as  a single man. . 
  • poppy123456
    Yes, as i thought you claimed the SDP because you were single and living alone. You PIP daily living award will have qualifed you for the SDP but you wouldn't have qualifed for this while you were claiming DLA because you only had low rate care. The SDP is an Income Related premium, if you were claiming just the contributions part at that time then you wouldn't have been claiming the SDP.

When you claimed ESA as a couple then it would have been income related too because you can't claim ESA as a couple on Contributions based ESA.

My advice is no you won't be owed any backdated money based on the information you told me. .

• Burny
    Òk thanks for the advice much appreciated 

• JulianandFiona
    HI,
    After I separated from my ex-wife early 2012 I did live by myself until 13/4/2013 claiming ESA with SDP before moving in with my partner. Would i be entitled to any underpayments for this period?

Thanks

Julian
  • poppy123456
    Doesn't sound like you would be entitled to anything more than you were already claiming at that time. You were already claiming the SDP.
  • JulianandFiona
    Hi,
    Ok, 5hanks for your help.

Regards

Julian
  • Burny
    Poppy from 2011 I was a single persons claim. I  had income support then contribution based esa along with  dla higher rate mobility and low rate care with single person component . The dla changed to pip 3 years ago . I receive advanced rate mobility and standard rate care. My disability will and does get worse every yes.  I am having my first review at this moment in time. Am I entitled to anything backdated ? Sorry to ask same question  again. But confused after reading your  reply for many times lol. Also what does sdp stand for . I can't remember  due to medication.  Sorry 
  • poppy123456
    Based on what you've said it doesn't sound like you're entitled to any backdated money. As you were already claiming the SDP (severe disability premium) in with your ESA and this in income related not contributions based. Changing from DLA to PIP has nothing at all to do with the under payments.
  • Burny
    Ah right yes I see now once again I thank you
                 Burny

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.