What should I be claiming? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

What should I be claiming?

Minimeklein
Minimeklein Community member Posts: 4 Listener
I had to give up work in May this year due to ill health. I was previously in receipt of PIP while I was working. I receive £319 a month, ESA £221.50 a fortnight and £64.60 a month Carers Allowance.
i have reported my changes to PIP over 8 weeks ago and requested a home visit because of mobility issues.
what am I , should I be claiming?
i have a social worker and am awaiting for LILS to be set up.
Any support or information would be appreciated x

Comments

• BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Hi, I would not expect you to be receiving both ESA at the rate you are at the same time as Carers Allowance.  Carers Allowance is a benefit claimed by someone who is providing care to another person for at least 35 hours a week.  It is also £64.60 a week, not a month.  If you are getting both of these, I would advise you to contact the Carers Allowance unit to discuss this.  What you should claim depends on whether you are in a Universal Credit full service area or not.  If you do not know, you can check by entering your postcode at www.universalcreditinfo.net - this will tell you if you have to claim UC or not.  If you are in a full service area, you have to claim Universal Credit (which would also include any amount towards your rent if you have any).  If you are not in a full service area, you can ask the DWP for an ESA3 form and apply for income related ESA and if you have rent liability, also claim Housing Benefit.  If you are liable for council tax, you can contact your local authority to claim Council Tax Support if you do not already have this.  The PIP re-assessment will take some time unfortunately, there are huge delays.  Hope that helps.
    The Benefits Training Co:

• Minimeklein
    Thank you for your advice and response.
  • Minimeklein
    I have a career but the carers allowance doesn’t cover my care needs and plan set out by social services. I am waiting to go onto LILS- Lancashire Indepenf Living Services. I don’t know how I ended up on ESA, only that I registered with the job centre shortly after finishing work. I was on roughly £74 for 12 weeks, then had an assessment and they put me in the ESA support group?..
    Help- what are the benefits I am entitled to or should be claiming?
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,926 Disability Gamechanger
    The carers allowance isn't paid to you for looking after yourself. It's paid to your carer for looking after you for at least 35 hours per week. It's not meant to cover your care needs. It is also paid at £64.30 per week, as stated above and nor monthly.

Whether you're receiving the correct amount of ESA every 2 weeks will depend on your circumstances and household income.

You say you were previously in receipt of PIP? Did that stop because you were refused? You say you reported a change of circumstances, what benefit was this for?

Do you have a social worker? If so then it will probably be better to speak to them about your benefits because they will know your full circumstances, which no one knows here.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Minimeklein
    Yes, the carers allowance goes direct to my carer.
    i am still in receipt of PIP. I notified them of the latest results of tests and new diagnosis’ 
    May medical conditions have rapidly deteriorated.
  • poppy123456
    A diagnosis makes no difference to PIP, it's how those conditions affect you daily.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • dragon1998
    dragon1998 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    When should you report health changes please, I'm scared to to be honest after hearing the scare stories!  My health is worse and now affecting my standing and walking 
  • poppy123456
    When should you report health changes please, I'm scared to to be honest after hearing the scare stories!  My health is worse and now affecting my standing and walking 
    Which benefit is this for?

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.