PIP Assessment — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP Assessment

alibabi67
alibabi67 Community member Posts: 22 Connected
So had the dreaded PIP assessment yesterday and it was horrible. It came at a time when I am very depressed so I couldn’t answer simple questions like ‘what do you use your car for’ I said going places, and he said where and I couldn’t even think of one place. My mind is so foggy I can’t think straight. I was asked stupid questions too and the assessor seemed very exasperated with me. He asked me how often I eat and I said once a day and he said why only once a day and I said because I can’t be arsed, I don’t really care, which is true. He asked a lot about my children and how I care for them which I didn’t feel was appropriate as I had already explained that my husband makes their meals etc. I have bipolar disorder and degenerative osteoarthritis in my knee. He asked how far I could walk and I just said I didn’t know, he said how long could I walk for and I just shrugged, I found it too hard. I feel this is going to go against me in a big way. I found the whole hour and a quarter humiliating talking about my incontinence with a man. It’s so wrong. I feel like the police are going to knock on my door any minute and arrest me for fraud because I was made to feel like a criminal. I am fortunate that I don’t need the money to live, we can afford our rent etc because my husband works but it’s already been 3 months to get to assessment and now another month or so for an initial decision, how the hell people who need this money to live cope. It really is a horrendous and barbaric practise.

Comments

• Liam_Alumni
    Liam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,101 Pioneering
    Hi @alibabi67,

I'm sorry to read this and to hear about the problems you've been having following your PIP assessment. This community is a wonderfully friendly and supportive place and I'm sure other members of our community will be along soon to offer advice and support following your assessment.

Best of luck with the decision and if you have any questions or if we can help in any way, then please do let us know.
    Liam
  • topshoes
    topshoes Community member Posts: 442 Pioneering
    edited October 2018
    Hi  @alibabi67 i am so sorry to hear what you been through, you have done you best and thats all anyone can do, so please dont beat yourself up over it ,i think you have done very well, its not easy going to things like this it is if we are on trial  which is not nice asking us Questions , so take things easy rest of today  x
  • SociableSeanTB
    SociableSeanTB Community member Posts: 12 Connected
    @alibabi67 all I can say is well done for getting through it. I am waiting for my process to get to the assessment stage, but just getting through the application process, evidence gathering and submission is amazing, in the face of the barriers that are in place for many of us. With so many negative things going on and feeling like you were questioned and on trial, as @topshoes said, if there's something you can do for yourself today, some 'me' time then you've definitely earned it! What do you enjoy doing/ do you have any plans for the weekend to take your mind off things for a couple of days? 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.