underpayment — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

underpayment

Options
millimmoomoo
millimmoomoo Community member Posts: 4 Listener
Hello everyone,

I'm new to this forum and would like to say hello to one and all.

I moved from IB to ESA in 2011 or thereabouts. I was placed the support group. I was awarded Contribution based ESA from day one. 
I have received the ESA3 form and filled it in and sent it back.
At the time of being moved from IB to ESA .........my partner worked only 23 hrs/pw. I have not been able to work since 2003 or before.
The ESA3 form asked all about savings,shares,property..etc...We have none and have never had any.
I was never awarded income related ESA. Is it because my partner was/is working? 
On the first page of the form says if you or your partner was working 24 hours or more for the whole time on the dates on the front of this form you do not need to fill it in.
My partner was working 23 hours p/w.on and before the date on the form (25/01/2013). Could anyone tell me if we would apply for the underpayment.
As I said I've sent the form but I don't want to get my hopes up in case I'm turned down. I just wondered if someone had applied with similar circumstances.

Thank you.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,978 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Hi,

It will totally depend how long your partner was working for 23 hours for. Does she work now, if so how many hours. Like it states on the form if your partner is/was working more than 24 hours per week then you won't be entitled to any Income Related top up. The Income Related top up is the Enhanced disability premium and this year from April it's £16.40 per week, less in previous years. For you this means that anything more than £20 per week, that your partner earns is counted as income £1 for £1 when working on the Income related top up. Which means for you that if he is or anytime he worked in the past would mean that you wouldn't have been entitled to any Income related ESA. So, do he work now, if so how many hours per week.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • millimmoomoo
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Thanks for the reply,
    My partner works 31 hrs/pw now.
    She has worked 31 hrs since August 2015. But before that she worked 23 hrs p/w.
    Do you think I'd be eligible for 2 years?
    The form is dated from 25/01/2013.
    You say the income related top up is £16.40 but what about  severe disability premium..I thought that was about £60.p/w?
    I get DLA with both highest rates. I have never claimed cares or attendance allowance.
    I've heard that there was another court case and they are backdating the payments from an earlier date...do you know if this is true?

Thank you.
  • poppy123456
    edited October 2018
    Options
    You won't be eligible for any Income related top up at all since your partner has worked, whether it's 23 hours or 31 hours because the money your partner earns will wipe out the ESA income related. You don't state when your partner worked 23 hours but you say you transferred to ESA in 2011? If your partner was working when you transferred then you won't be entitled to any Income related and that includes any backdated money. They are backdating to November 2011.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • millimmoomoo
    edited October 2018
    Options
    She was working for 23 hrs p/w up to Aug 2015.
    I wonder why they sent me a form if they knew her hours?
  • poppy123456
    Options
    They are sending them to everyone that transferred from IB. They wouldn't know her hours because you're claiming Contributions based ESA and your partner working doesn't affect this.
  • millimmoomoo
    Options
    Ok Poppy,
    Thank you for your replies.
    Moo
  • Georgina1994
    Georgina1994 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    Options
    I've been on disability benefits and ESA for 11years and I've been underpaid?
  • poppy123456
    Options
    It's impossible to advice something as complex as this on an internet forum, you'll have to wait to see if DWP contact you sometime in the future.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    It's impossible to advice something as complex as this on an internet forum, you'll have to wait to see if DWP contact you sometime in the future.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.