Standard mobility and vehicle tax exemption — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Standard mobility and vehicle tax exemption

The_worrier
The_worrier Community member Posts: 10 Listener
Good evening all,

After contacting the DVLA about taxing my Dad's new vehicle, they informed him that as he's on the standard rate for mobility he's entitled to a 50% discount on his road tax. We had no idea that this was possible. Not only that, they will back pay him for the last 5 years, all they need is a statement from the DWP.

How long has this been a policy? 

Comments

• lindadenise
    lindadenise Community member Posts: 302 Pioneering
    Has been in place for along time more than 5 years.
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    Not widely advertised. I'm sure there are many who qualify who are losing out.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,919 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2018
    The 50% road tax reduction for the claiming standard rate mobility PIP has been in place since PIP was introduced in 2013. DWP send the information on what else is possible to claim when they send you your award letter. I know this because i claimed standard rate mobility and received this discount back in 2013.

When claiming the road tax the car it's used for must only be used for the purpose of the disabled driving. Any other person insured to drive the car can't use the car for their own purposes. https://www.disabledmotoring.org/motoring/road-tax-50-reduction

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.