ESA Contribution or Income Related — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ESA Contribution or Income Related

sallyinspire
sallyinspire Community member Posts: 2 Listener
I've always been very confused about this.  My son was on Incapacity and got free prescriptions etc.  Transferred to ESA Contribution in Support Group and has to now pay prescriptions.  I didn't realise and ended up with a fine.  My question now is, with this new questionnaire about backdating money if they were transferred straight to Contribution, do they get switched to Income Based or do they stay on Contribution with an Income Based Top Up?  I have seen different people saying different things.  

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,360 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

They stay on Contributions based with an Income Related top up.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • poppy123456
    Hi,

They stay on Contributions based with an Income Related top up.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • sallyinspire
    sallyinspire Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Thank you Poppy.  So would we still have to pay for prescriptions and dental work etc?
  • poppy123456
    No, not if you're claiming the Income Related top up. To be eligible for the top up of course will depend on your circumstances. Household Income, partner working, Savings/capital.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.