Hi, my name is morts67! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is morts67!

morts67
morts67 Community member Posts: 6 Listener
Hi i'm currently receiving ESA in support group and pip.I am moving to a new area where universal credit is already in place. I am panicking and anxiety getting worse has I don't know if I will have to fill in forms all over again and have to go through the dreaded assessments. The move will be better for me but I'm in two minds whether to go ahead with it because having to go through the claim process again could bring me to suicide,any advice would be much appreciated thanks.

Comments

• steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @morts67

Good Morning it’s great to meet you today.

We have got some “Benefit Advisors” here on our site.

I do think that will be best placed in answering your concerns?????

I will forward your post onto them this morning.

They will be in touch but please please give them some time in doing so as they are extremely busy currently!!!!!!!!

Hi @BenefitsTrainingCo

Can you please help me with this post????)

Many Thanks.
  • Jazzguitar
    Jazzguitar Community member Posts: 180 Courageous
    Tou have come to the right place Neville Pearson
  • morts67
    Thank-you much appreciated.
  • Liam_Alumni
    Liam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,101 Pioneering
    Hi @morts67,

Welcome to Scope's online community. It's great to have you here. We're a friendly bunch who offer lots of help and support to one another.

I'm sorry to hear about your concerns with Universal Credit - it does sound like a really stressful time for you. I've moved this post into our dedicated UC category, where other members of our community will be able to offer some help and support.
    Liam
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    morts67 said:
    Hi i'm currently receiving ESA in support group and pip.I am moving to a new area where universal credit is already in place. I am panicking and anxiety getting worse has I don't know if I will have to fill in forms all over again and have to go through the dreaded assessments. The move will be better for me but I'm in two minds whether to go ahead with it because having to go through the claim process again could bring me to suicide,any advice would be much appreciated thanks.
    Hi,

If the area you're moving to is a full universal credit area then it will be this you'll have to claim, and not just a simple ESA change of address. Any housing benefit you currently claim will also be transferred to Universal credit and will both be paid as 1 monthly payment. Your PIP will remain separate and is not part of UC.

You will need to start a claim for UC once you move and it takes 6 weeks for payments to start with UC. Once you start a claim then your ESA will stop. As you will have already moved house any housing benefit you were claiming in your previous address will have already stopped.

If you're claiming any disability premiums on top of your ESA they will not be paid on UC. So if you're claiming the severe disability premium on top of your ESA then you won't be paid this under UC. There was an announcement some weeks ago that those who currently lost out when transferring to UC and lost their SDP will be back paid any money lost but this has yet to be confirmed, so at the moment you will be worse off per month than you were on ESA.

As you're in the Support Group for ESA then UC should honour this when you transfer and place in the relevant group for UC which is LCWRA, at least until you're re-assessed under UC.  However this hasn't always been the case and it has been known that people haven't been honoured with this when transferring across.

Any council tax reduction you claim will need to be claimed separately as it is not paid in with UC. You will also need your tennacy agreement to be paid the housing element of UC which will replace any housing benefit you currently claim.

Good luck with your move.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • morts67
    Thank-you,am not looking forward to this at all and to be honest I doubt i will cope and probably give in and end it.Thanks though much appreciated.
  • poppy123456
    You're welcome. Once you do move then you'll be able to start your UC claim online. You will need to let your landlord know of the 6 week wait for your benefits, if this applies.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • morts67
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 273 Pioneering
    Hello morts67

Really concerned to read that you would consider ending it.

Please register with a new GP and talk to them about your feelings, and / or also to family members or friends. 

You can call Samaritans on  116 123.

We are looking forward to hearing from you again on this community too.

Very best wishes

Gill_Scope 
  • morts67
    Hi all,I am on IRESA in support group.I moved into ucfs area 2wks ago and housing officer put a claim in for universal credit has i couldn't do it myself I have missed 1appointment due to know one to attend with me got another appointment and housing officer is attending.My question is do I need to attend has i informed jcp that i would stay on ESA (housing and jcp said I can't and need to carry on with uc claim.Anyone know the latest on this please.Thankyou.
  • poppy123456
    Hi,

Your ESA will transfer to UC and the DWP should honour your ESA Support Group award and place you into the relevant group for UC which is LCWRA. You will need to attend this first appointment at your local job centre because without this then they can't process your UC claim.

Unfortunately because you moved to a different local council where it's a full UC area then because of your rent you'll have to claim UC, this means all other means your ESA will transfer across. Council tax reduction isn't part of UC and needs to be claimed separately from your local council.
  • morts67
  • kami24
    kami24 Community member Posts: 402 Pioneering
    edited October 2018
    ok so i want to move back in with my mum as i feel totally alone and have borderline personality disorder and autism so i need her , it will be in the same county and i claim p.i.p and  jobseeker's allowance currently even though its not realistic for me to work in the future due to mood swings and having 33 jobs previously under my belt because of my disorder but no new claims of esa are accepted anymore so not sure about that anyway my question is will i be moved onto UC and will i get sdp still and will my mum have an option to claim carers allowance because shes not moving its only me moving to her or will she be forced onto UC too as she is on jobseekers currently as well????
  • poppy123456
    edited October 2018
    As you won't be claiming housing benefit because you'll be living with your mum then you can stay on JSA and won't have to claim UC, it will just be a change of address.

As you're claiming the SDP unless your mum claims a qualifying benefit such as PIP daily living or DLA mid/high rate care then you will lose the SDP weekly payment because you won't be classed as living alone. Your mum will then be able to claim Carers Allowance providing she looks after you for at least 35 hours per week. She may have to claim UC if she claims Carers allowance for looking after you, unless she can still look for work and care for you at the same time.

If your mum lives alone at the moment then when you move in with her she will lose her single person discount on her council tax reduction.
  • kami24
  • kami24
    She lives with my brother who is in his 2nd year of university student finance 
  • kami24
    Not sure about that 
  • poppy123456
    As she lives with your brother who's a student then she will claiming the single person's discount on her council tax. If you lived with her she will lose that discount and will have to pay more.

You will also lose your SDP.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.