Work coach — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Work coach

Options
Firefly123
Firefly123 Community member Posts: 530 Pioneering
Hi my son has server social phobia agrophobia anxiety depression OCD and a few other problems he had a panic attack yesterday at the job centre as his work coach said he has to go for a walk at night at least 4 times if he wants his next payment. I'm his appointee and I said there is no way he can do that or me as I don't go out at night as I'm caring for another 2. He then asked if I've sent back the UC50 form yet to which I replied I'm filling it in now and have until the 30th to have it back. Can he actually stop his money is he can't walk at night? 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,222 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Hi,

I have no idea what walking at night has to do with the claimant commitment of Universal credit.

They can sanction him if he has to complete job searches for a certain number of hours per week if he doesn't do this. Claiming UC with a fit note doesn't always guarantee you'll be completely excused from the job searches, it will depend on the work coach.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Firefly123
    Options
    Yes me either he hadn't managed to look for work as berween this and a pip assessment coming up his mental health has been getting much worse I explained this to his work coach and told him his new meds to help with his depression are making him unable to eat sleep think and he said OK then walking at night people won't see you so I want you to write in your journal you've been for a walk at least 4 times before your next pay day. I told him that is rediculous and he can't do that.
    And its not even my son who writes in his journal anyway its me. 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    I really don't understand the "walking at night" part because i don't know what that has to do with a UC claimant agreement. Did the work coach suggest that he goes out in the evening to do his job searches?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Firefly123
    Options
    No I don't either and I've wrote that in his journal 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    As he hasn't yet been assessed for limited capability for work then you do need to check his claimant commitment because he maybe expected to do some work requirements each week in order to be able to keep his full benefit each month.

Claiming UC with a fit/sick note doesn't automatically place you in the no work related requirements group. It's the work coaches discretion until a decision is made on the LCW. Most work coaches will expect some work related requirements. It's not as straight forward as ESA was/is.

I'm wondering if you're misunderstanding the "walking at night" and you haven't fully understood what is expected from your son. It maybe that his work coach has advised going out in the evening to complete his work requirements.  If he does have to do some hours per week to look for work or prepare to work and these aren't done then he could be sanctioned and this will mean less money per month. Check his UC account online and it should tell you how many hours per week he's expected to do.
  • Firefly123
    Options
    Says he should look on the. Lap top for 20 hours a week and apply for suitable jobs make a cv and attend any interviews 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Then he needs to look for work for those 20 hours. They can sanction him if he doesn't  A sick note from a GP doesn't mean anything for UC.
  • Firefly123
    Options

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.