Appeal the decision or start a new claim? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Appeal the decision or start a new claim?

Options
Sue_Atkinson_1209
Sue_Atkinson_1209 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
edited October 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
I had been on DLA for years due to Arthritis and the damage done to my spine. I was sent to PIP and this was cancelled. On appealing, when I received the report there were wrong details on it. By this point I'd given up fighting, depression had kicked in. Although I still work (reduced hours from full time to part time), the DLA was used to replace my car to a more suitable 1 and to install a stairlift in our home to make things easier for me to cope with. Any advice on applying again for PIP? Should I contest the previous decision from some time ago now or submit a new claim?

Comments

• steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Sue_Atkinson_1209

Good Afternoon I do hope that you are having a good day???

I’m one of the “Community Champions” on our site.

We have got some good advice/help on here.

I would be very happy in helping you with things ????

Please please let me know if this would be helpful?????
  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Hi @Sue_Atkinson_1209 welcome to the community!

Unfortunately it would be too late to appeal your last decision as you can only appeal the decision after 1 month on receiving their decision.

However, you can re-apply, we have lots of information about PIP and if you have any further questions, please let us know as there are very knowledgeable members here in the community :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • Sue_Atkinson_1209
    Sue_Atkinson_1209 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    Options
    Hi @steve51, I'd appreciate the help since I'm not sure how long I can keep working and need to try to replace at least part of my income to help with bills, I'm not sure if there's any other financial help available out there when I have to leave work.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,213 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,

When was the decision made on the PIP claim? You do actually have 13 months to appeal if you have good reasons why you didn't appeal to begin with. It totally depends how your condition is now and when the decision was made. Any worsening or condition can't be taken into consideration, as they can only take into consideration your condition at the time of the decision. I'd advise you to get further advice on this if the decision was within 13 months. Even if it wasn't and you plan on re-applying then face to face help and advice is needed. Using the same evidence as you previously used may go against you and see another refusal.

Any other financial help with totally depend on your circumstances and household income. If you're having difficulties doing your job then you should speak to your employer about reasonable adjustments. If that doesn't work then SSP is payable for 28 weeks, with a fit note from your GP.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.