What is it like having a brother or sister who's autistic? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

What is it like having a brother or sister who's autistic?

Sam_Alumni
Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
edited October 2018 in Autism and neurodiversity
Imagine doing a talk in front of your whole school. That's exactly what eight-year-old Angel has done and she has a very good reason why.

Her older brother Jayden is autistic and she wants more kids to know what that means, and what it is like having a brother or sister with the condition.

You can watch the video of Angel talking about autism here.

What a great young person trying to educate others and start a conversation!! Do you want to tell us about your experiences with Autism or Aspergers? 

Scope
Senior online community officer

Comments

• debbiedo49
    debbiedo49 Community member Posts: 2,904 Disability Gamechanger
    That little girl is inspiring!
  • Firefly123
    Firefly123 Community member Posts: 530 Pioneering
    We didn't actually know my brother had Autism he didn't speak until he was around 8 always had as we thought some crazy habits or rituals he had to do was called a dummy and life was hard at that time it was only when my own son was suspected to have autism finding out all about it and talking to my brother about what it was we realised that's what he had as him and my son were so very similar and had lots of the same problems.my brother said he always knew he was different to my other brothers but we all just got on with it and were his voice when he couldn't find the words. We knew not to mess with him as he would totally lose it. Having 3 kids myself with autism I can only imagine how hard it was for him as I know how hard it is for my kids. 

Brightness