How do I get an advocate? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

How do I get an advocate?

Dana97
Dana97 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
I applied for PIP in November of last year due to mental health issues making it impossible for me to work but, as I’m sure we all expect by now, I was refused with 0 points after the face to face meeting. I’m now taking it to tribunal because I can’t claim any other benefits due to my boyfriend working though he’s also been refused PIP now after trying to switch from DLA even though he has autism but that’s a whole different story. 
One of my main mental health issues is anxiety so as you can imagine I’m finding the whole process confusing and horrid so I’m trying to find out how to get an advocate! I won’t have anyone to go with me otherwise and I don’t even want to think about how I’d manage that. So, how do I go about getting an advocate?!

Comments

• Dana97
    edited October 2018
    I applied for PIP in November of last year due to mental health issues making it impossible for me to work but, as I’m sure we all expect by now, I was refused with 0 points after the face to face meeting. I’m now taking it to tribunal because I can’t claim any other benefits due to my boyfriend working though he’s also been refused PIP now after trying to switch from DLA even though he has autism but that’s a whole different story. 
    One of my main mental health issues is anxiety so as you can imagine I’m finding the whole process confusing and horrid so I’m trying to find out how to get an advocate! I won’t have anyone to go with me otherwise and I don’t even want to think about how I’d manage that. So, how do I go about getting an advocate?!
  • Sue52
    Sue52 Community member Posts: 78 Courageous
    Hi @Dana97
    Hope yr well .. Have u asked anyone locally if they have knowledge of PIP and the way the system works, also if they would be available to go with u. Sometimes it’s better to have someone you know and trust with you. 
    All the best 
    Sue 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,352 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

It maybe too late to get a representative now at this late stage, especially if you've got a date for the hearing. If you do find it difficult then maybe ask a friend or family member to go with you on the day for support. Good luck.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Castleford1
    Castleford1 Community member Posts: 59 Courageous
    Hi Dana
    My daughters circumstances are somewhat different to yours in that she has learning disabilities.  When I was looking for an Advocate to attend f2f for PIP with us I first approached the local Community Learning Disabilities Team of Social Services Department (Wakefield Council) who gave me the phone number for Advocacy services in our area. I rang them and they agreed that my daughter would have the services of an Advocate for her f2f.  As it happened she didn't need one as she was awarded PIP on paper based assessment.  Have you got a Social Worker or Mental Health worker?  If so contract them or try your local Social Services Department or maybe Scope in your area may be able to tell you. I'm not sure, however, if every area provides this service because of cut backs.  Good Luck to you.
  • debbiedo49
    debbiedo49 Community member Posts: 2,904 Disability Gamechanger
  • Misscleo
    Misscleo Community member Posts: 647 Pioneering
    Local???
    Theres noughthing like that local to me and i live in a big city

• Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    Misscleo said:
    Local???
    Theres noughthing like that local to me and i live in a big city

I am surprised.
    I live in the sticks so can understand your problem which shouldn't be a problem.

What city is it?

• Dana97
    I’ve not gotten a date yet and when I’ve phoned them it sounds like it’s still quite a way away. I don’t have any friends or family who can go with me unfortunately and because of my anxiety I don’t know anyone local! I’ll be heading to CAB on Wednesday when they’re open to see what they can do since they’ve been helpful in the past. If that doesn’t work my mum said she’ll help me phone around to some charities to see who might be able to help. Thanks for the advice everyone! 
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    If you do manage to find someone that will help you they may well be part of a large organisation with branches local to me. I could do with some help with an old PIP failure decision and/or a claim for Attendance Allowance.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.