Work are trying to terminate my contract after an accident — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Work are trying to terminate my contract after an accident

simon_cut
simon_cut Community member Posts: 13 Listener
edited October 2018 in Work and employment
HI my work are trying to get rid of me on medical capability i used to be a driver had a accident damaged the nerves in my left leg and have developed severe arthritis in my knees cant walk have to use a wheelchair any more than about 10 yards. I have been working in the office on a temporary role for over 3 years but now they are saying my contract is as a driver and as i cant do that they are going to terminate my contract as i cant drive . seems very unfair has anyone else had anything like this happen to them ? Thanks Simon

Comments

• simon_cut
    HI my work are trying to get rid of me on medical capability i used to be a driver had a accident damaged the nerves in my left leg and have developed severe arthritis in my knees cant walk have to use a wheelchair any more than about 10 yards. I have been working in the office on a temporary role for over 3 years but now they are saying my contract is as a driver and as i cant do that they are going to terminate my contract as i cant drive . seems very unfair has anyone else had anything like this happen to them ? Thanks Simon
  • Markmywords
    Markmywords Community member Posts: 419 Pioneering
    It's very unusual for discrimination to happen after 3 years. Also, it wasn't a temporary role if it has been going that long.
    Not fit to perform a job that you haven't done for 3 years? What a load of rubbish.
    I suggest that you talk to ACAS.
  • simon_cut
    They keep saying it was a made up role and now there is no role for me and the business cant keep me . i feel they are doing now after 3 years because you only get 3 years to put a claim in as the initial accident happened at work  
  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @simon_cut welcome to the community!

Sorry to hear what has happened. I lost my job because I was no longer fit for the role of a Saes Assistant. They did refer me to have a medical which I did go to. Report came back saying that I am no longer fit for the role, there were options to have reasonable adjustments put in place but they chose against this. I am partially deaf, have lost my central vision and considering this place accepts any disabilities it left me furious and upset.

It is unfair, do you have a contract for your temporary role?
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • simon_cut
    hi thanks for your reply.  No i dont i am still on the contract as a driver even tho i haven't done it for over 3 years there have been roles available but they are upstairs and cant get up there as no access with a wheelchair again seems so unfair 

• Markmywords
    Markmywords Community member Posts: 419 Pioneering
    Their arguments simply do not stand up to logic.
    Who else has been told they will be terminated because the business "can't keep" them?
    A civil court claim for injury damages would be 3 years, not this.This threat on your employment is at day zero.
    Call ACAS straight away.

Brightness