Work advise needed — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Work advise needed

Options
Tracey55
Tracey55 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
edited October 2018 in Work and employment
I have osteoarthritis and I'm on sick leave for 3 days months but have been advised by HR to hand in my notice after my sick leave has ended they have also refused to let me have a chair on the checkouts so I can continue working I don't know what to do now can anyone advise

Comments

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Tracey55 welcome to the community!

Sorry to hear the situation you are currently in. Have you spoken to management or higher about making reasonable adjustments?
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • Tracey55
    Options
    Spoke to HR today they said I can't have a chair even though I work on a till and the advice me to hand in my notice at the end of my sick leave
  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    How they are treating you is shocking to say the least! If you were to give in your notice then you would not be entitled to anything straightaway, if they were to dismiss you then you could start a claim with ESA as soon as possible.

Thats the worst case scenario, I really do not understand why it would cause a problem by allowing you to have a chair to enable you to carry on with your job. Members of the community will be able to help you and give you the best advice.
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • Tracey55
    Options
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Hello @Tracey55   Pleased to meet you welcome.

Thank you for joining. Sorry what has happened.

We have a lot of useful information about reasonable adjustments in the work place on our website which you might find helpful.

Understand that you are on long term sick leave. I would discuss this with a Union rep or speak to CAB.  Who have a wealth of knowledge and expertise in these matters. Need to speak to probably some one in employment law here just a suggestion.

Add to that you have a disability and employers should be supporting you and assisting you with your condition. Not making you redundant.

Please can I advise speak to our helpline 0808 800 3333 for further guidance.

We as a community are here to support you. You are not alone.

Pleasure to meet you

Take care

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • Ren_Scope
    Ren_Scope Scope Posts: 24 Courageous
    Options
    Hi @Tracey55

This really is an awful situation they have put you in and I'm sorry that you are going through this.

From what you said, it sounds like you work in a Supermarket and if this is correct, I'm very surprised as most supermarkets are Disability Confident Employers. 

It is up to your employers to make reasonable adjustments to your role so that you can do your job effectively. What is the reason for not allowing a chair at the checkout as this does not sound like a big ask to me?

If they cant accommodate a chair then they should offer you a role where you can be seated most of the time, asking you to resign is not what they should be doing.  

Perhaps, you could get a letter from your GP stating your condition and what type of support will help you do your job effectively.

I really hope the matter does get sorted and that you do not resign.

Best wishes
    Ren
    Ren
    Scope Employment Advisor
    Phone: 0300 222 5742
    Email: supporttowork@scope.org.uk
    www.scope.org.uk/supporttowork

Brightness