Benefits question — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Benefits question

computersaysno
computersaysno Community member Posts: 4 Listener
0n 16th July I had to move from JSA where I was in receipt of extra money because I was disabled and extra money because of the disability Income Guarantee
From the 17th July my ESA claim was reduced to the basic living expenses plus the disability income guarantee.  Apparently the extra money for being disabled was no payable until I had been assessed and placed in one of two groups.
I am now in the "support group".
Today I received a letter confirming this and an extra £37.65 because I am in the "support group"
However, this extra money has not been backdated to the date of my original claim on 16th July and I am hoping that someone will be able to advise as to whether this is an error on the benefit agency's part? Or do they have a policy of wait for you to disagree within a pre determined time scale?
Thanks for the help

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,360 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2018
    ESA assessment rate is paid for 13 weeks. Extra money isn't paid until the 14th week of your claim, even if you're assessed earlier.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • computersaysno
    Thank you Poppy.
    Not the answer I was hoping for.
    Basically if I had refused the fit note from my gp a
  • computersaysno
    Thats dreadful.
    Basically I should have told my gp not to sign me off and stayed claiming JSA and had the extra disability payment.
    Because I took the gp advice 
    (At 63 and with the multiple medical problems I have, I should not be harassed into looking for work..despite the fact I would love to work..)
    I have lost out on  the extra disability money that I was entitled to on JSA but not on ESA!!
    Surely this is discriminatory...
    So disappointed.
    Not the answer I hoped for but thank you for the response Poppy.

• poppy123456
    As you're talking about a disability premium then which do you claim, DLA or PIP and what award do you have? There's a disability premium that's paid on JSA and not on ESA and vise vera but the criteria for both is different.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • computersaysno
    I have Pip.
    Currently (I have recently had to submit a further claim where they want to establish if my capabilities/disabilities have changed) I receive the basic rate for mobility and higher for daily care.
    I  cannot understand why there are such anomalies in the various disability support benefits...
    It's as though the left has no idea what the right is doing.
    You are  very kind and knowlegeable!! }
    Thank you.
  • poppy123456
    As you're claiming the Enhanced daily living PIP then you're entitled to the Enhanced disability premium on top of your ESA, which is paid while on assessment rate as well. This premium is £16.40 extra per week on your ESA (automatically paid to those in the Support Group on Income Related ESA)

If you live alone or classed as living alone and no one claims Carers allowance for looking after you then you should be claiming the severe disability premium, which is £64.30 per week extra on your ESA.

All the disability premiums have criteria, unfortunately.
  • CaroLeHARper
    CaroLeHARper Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    I am 73 years old I Have Fibromyalgia Spondylitis and Arthiritis . My back has collapsed disc and part is not joined up doctor said it’s spinerbifter I so I can’t walk a few yards . I was wondering what benefits I entitled to I get pension and DVLA 
  • poppy123456
    I am 73 years old I Have Fibromyalgia Spondylitis and Arthiritis . My back has collapsed disc and part is not joined up doctor said it’s spinerbifter I so I can’t walk a few yards . I was wondering what benefits I entitled to I get pension and DVLA 
    DVLA do you mean DLA? If so then as you have your pension the only other benefits that maybe possible is Pension credit, housing benefit and council tax reduction.
  • lilycoco
    lilycoco Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Does anybody know why the mobility component is in two parts.I have recived the first part but because I can follow a route I don’t get the next part.I thought the mobility part was for walking,there is nothing wrong with my head it’s my spine and legs that are bad.
  • poppy123456
    edited October 2018
    There's 2 descriptors for mobility...following and planning a journey and moving around. Are you saying you scored points in following and planning a journey and you claim for a physical disability?

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.