Can I claim back the costs of the report? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Can I claim back the costs of the report?

Andyac
Andyac Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited October 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
I’ve been on DLA since 2009 after my TBI 
I was declined for pip and had to appeal 
because they wanted an updated 
neuro report I had to pay £500 pounds 
to have done it went to tribunal and I was awarded pip plus back payments 
can I claim back the costs of the report 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,926 Disability Gamechanger
    No, it's the claimants responsibility to prove entitlement to PIP and not theirs. Why did you have to pay all that money for a report?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Andyac
    Andyac Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Because the original report was produced in 2009 even though it states my condition is permanent they said it was no good ie to old which they wasn’t prepared to read it 
    so I had to get a knew assement from a neurologist 
    Which is not cheap 
    as far as they was concerned 
    well I look okay so 0 points
  • poppy123456
    I see. It's not their responsibility to prove you qualify for PIP, it's yours unfortunately.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    I see. It's not their responsibility to prove you qualify for PIP, it's yours unfortunately.
    But the DWP clearly point out in all of their notes that you should NOT pay for evidence that isn't already to hand - so I suppose that is their get out of clause - you were told not to pay.
  • poppy123456
    Exactly.
  • Yadnad
    So poor old Andyac was left in a dilemma. His neuro evidence from 2009 was classified by the DWP as far to old to be relied on as being relevant today - thus the comments from the DWP on their notes saying that nothing over 2 years old should be sent in.

Between the preverbal rock and a hard place is our poor Andyac. So what does he have to do to show the DWP that the 2009 evidence is in fact reliable - he asks the consultant to supply an updated version at a cost of £500.

He has no other choice - but the DWP say that he should not obtain any evidence that he has to pay for. If he does it is down to him.

Maybe he should have insisted that the DWP get it?

No answer to this.

• debbiedo49
    debbiedo49 Community member Posts: 2,904 Disability Gamechanger
    @Andyac did you know it would be 500 pounds at the time? Did you know about the rules about paying for stuff like that? I certainly couldn’t afford to pay that. I struggled to pay thirty pounds to my g p for his letter.  That’s awful
  • Yadnad
    @Andyac did you know it would be 500 pounds at the time? Did you know about the rules about paying for stuff like that? I certainly couldn’t afford to pay that. I struggled to pay thirty pounds to my g p for his letter.  That’s awful
    Andyac's problem was that he had no up to date evidence (or up to date enough for the DWP to accept). He had no choice no matter what the cost would have been - if he wanted PIP he had to pay the £500 - don't get the evidence - no PIP!

• debbiedo49
    Its a lot of money 
  • Yadnad
    Its a lot of money 
    I must agree it is just for one report. Mind you I have spent more than that when challenging an ESA decision in 2009. I had to get copies of all my files from 5 different hospitals up and down the country - the total cost came to more than £500.
  • debbiedo49
    That’s really awful

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.