Needing a hoist on hospital appointments. — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Needing a hoist on hospital appointments.

Ronin
Ronin Community member Posts: 8 Listener
Got a letter the other day telling me to phone for an appointment.
Minor problem but need to get on the examination bed 
So as the letter says I phone up to let them know I'm in a wheelchair.
The call centre put me through to the hospital.
I chose a private hospital that takes NHS patients because it was a less waiting time and the consultant is familiar with me.
This is how the call went.
Yes Mr Taylor what is the problem.
I'm in a wheelchair and will need to be hoisted to get on the examination table.
How are you coming to the appointment by ambulance.
No we have a WAV vehicle
So you need hoisting out of the car..
No it's a WAV vehicle, wheelchair access vehicle, it's an electric wheelchair so can drive out and into the hospital.
So why do you need a hoist.
To get on to the examination table
We haven't got one on this ward, so I need to check the other wards, I'll call you back in 30 mins.
After a short while she called back.
I'm sorry Mr Taylor we don't seem to have a hoist but the doctor will probably only want to speak with you and if you do need examining you will need to go to another hospital.
I have been to other appointments and yes they had an hoist, go me in a sling ready when the tried to lift me realised there wasn't a battery in it.
So got a battery, fitted it then realised it needed charging, so had to find another.
Am I the only person that requires a hoist, doubt it.
I have other incident with needing a hoist but it would be like war a peace.
I am not a negative person, quite upbeat really but I just want to be like anybody else.
PS I think the NHS and all doctors nurses and staff are brilliant, do a great job and are overworked. 

Comments

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Sorry to hear this, may I ask why you use a hoist? Just so we can understand and then try and see if there is anything else that could help you :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • Ronin
    Because I'm virtually immobile
    Need hoisting out for everything, bed, toilet, shower.
    I'm unable to weight bear.
    Don't think there is any other way but if you can think of anything I'd be interested.
  • Ami2301
    I was just wondering as I am a wheelchair user but can use a standing aid.
    Do you know how long your appointment is likely to last as if it's in advance could they not ask all the wards if they could use it for the duration of your appointment?
    It might be worth trying to speak to your consultant instead as he is familiar with you
    I will tag @Jean_Scope to see if she could suggest anything :)
  • Ronin
    Hi Ami2301
    Thanks for the reply.
    I let them know in advance so they can have one ready but it seems  that wards tend to keep hold of them once they have one.
    They often forget to charge the battery.
    It is on my records now but doesn't seem to make any difference.
    The thing is more hoists are needed and people trained in how to use a sling.
    Regards

• Jean_OT
    Jean_OT Community member Posts: 513 Pioneering
    Hi @Ronin

Thanks to @Ami2301 for inviting me to join this conversation, presumably wearing my OT hat rather than as another frustrated user of hospital services!

Really I don't have anything useful to add. Of course hospitals should be able to  accommodate the needs of disabled patients. Having ready access to a suitable, working hoist seems like a very basic reasonable adjustment to have in place.

Obviously the NHS is mega strapped for resources and wards do tend to guard the limited equipment that they have, concerned that if they lend it out to other departments it will disappear. But this really isn't an excuse and failure to find a solution is almost certainly a breach of the Equality Act 2010. I really can't see how a wealthy private hospital can legally justify not having access to a hoist.

If you have the energy these failings are worthy of formal complaints. If you do decide to complain I would suggest that you copy in your MP as it is important that the decision makers know the issues that disabled people have to tackle.

Best Wishes

Jean    

Jean Merrilees BSc MRCOT

You can read more of my posts at: https://community.scope.org.uk/categories/ask-an-occupational-therapist

• Ronin
    Hi @Ami2301 
    Thanks for the reply.
    Normally I would write to my MP but two reasons why I haven't.  
    One I often wrote but unfortunately, Micheal Meacher died and not sure about the new one.
    Two I am reluctant to upset anyone, especially if they are treating me, then again I know someone needs to be brave enough to start things off.
    Also aware the NHS is strapped for cash, it doesn't need to be but that's another conversation.
    Think they must have one but wards do tend to hold on to them, anyway I will find out 
    tomorrow.
    As well as providing hoists it would mean training for nurses to use them.
    I have had appointments were the nurse hadn't used one for four year so it doesn't inspire confidence especially when your in the air.
    Probably get this problem sorted then write to my MP.
    If you do think of anything I would be interested.
    Again thank you.
    Ronin.

• Ronin
    Hi @Ami2301 
    Went to the appointment yesterday.
    It was a talk with the consultant/surgeon, who incidentally is a very nice person, always treats you with respect and explains everything.
    No hoist in site, mind you it would have been rather cramped with one, rather small consulting room.
    Anyway I see a consultant at the Floyd Centre, a re-ability centre, mostly spinal cord injuries every 6 months and he is aware of the problem.
    He advised me to write everything down and if possible take photos, so I did and it worked.
    He understood the problem and is putting me on his list for a procedure.
    Must add he remembered my original problem, mind you I suppose I would be hard to forget.
    Not sure how much to reveal because it is rather personnel and I am quite new to the site.
    He has surgeries in a number of NHS hospitals in this area, so I will be going to one of them.
    So things seem OK at the moment, although I do find it exasperating the palaver I have when I need a hoist.

Ronin
  • Ami2301
    I am so relieved your appointment went OK!
    He is just what you needed, understanding and compassionate!
    Dont worry, only share with us what you feel comfortable with :)

Brightness