pension? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

pension?

Options
kayhikari
kayhikari Community member Posts: 7 Listener
edited October 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
um i have a question, im 25 and autistic and i have never managed to get/keep a job if i am able to stay on pip in the future and i get to pension age will i be able to claim it?

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,025 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,

PIP doesn't pay any national insurance credits towards a state pension. Other benefits like ESA/Universal credit pays this. Claiming either of these will depend on circumstances. Speak to your local CAB office for a full benefits check.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • kayhikari
    Options
    so since i have been on job seekers and then esa since i left school its been putting towards it?
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    kayhikari said:
    so since i have been on job seekers and then esa since i left school its been putting towards it?
    To put it bluntly - yes provided you maintain your benefit entitlement you will get the same level of State Pension as someone who has worked and paid in over a period of 35 years +.

Doesn't seem any real point in working.
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @kayhikari
    You can Check your National Insurance record or Call the helpline if you have questions about National Insurance credits.
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • kayhikari
    Options
    thank you so much i have been panicking about everything since they decided to stop my pip and now i have to try and get it back and i've been kinda freaking out about things especially since my parents are both retirement age
  • Sam_Alumni
    Options
    If you’re on Jobseeker’s Allowance and not in education or working 16 hours or more a week or you’re on Employment and Support Allowance, it says here you would automatically get Class 1 credits
    Scope
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,025 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Yadnad said:

To put it bluntly - yes provided you maintain your benefit entitlement you will get the same level of State Pension as someone who has worked and paid in over a period of 35 years +.

Doesn't seem any real point in working.
    A little harsh, don't you think! Some people don't have the opportunity to work because of a health condition!
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • kayhikari
    Options
    Sam_Scope said:
    If you’re on Jobseeker’s Allowance and not in education or working 16 hours or more a week or you’re on Employment and Support Allowance, it says here you would automatically get Class 1 credit

um i dont know what that means
  • Yadnad
    Options

A little harsh, don't you think! Some people don't have the opportunity to work because of a health condition!
    That was not meant to be harsh. I was being realistic. If I had my time over again and was able to get credits for a State Pension in that manner I would seriously consider not working at all. Of course if people want to work but can't then yes it can be a bit depressing.

This working life thing made me miss out on being a dad 5 days out of 7, it has given me disabilities and ill health that I now suffer from,and as for savings & pensions what is the point they reduce Pension Credit because I have them!

• Sam_Alumni
    Options
    kayhikari said:
    Sam_Scope said:
    If you’re on Jobseeker’s Allowance and not in education or working 16 hours or more a week or you’re on Employment and Support Allowance, it says here you would automatically get Class 1 credit

um i dont know what that means
    • Class 1 credits these count towards your State Pension and may help you qualify for some other benefits, for example contribution-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
    Scope
  • kayhikari
    Options
    sorry i still dont get it
  • Sam_Alumni
    Options
    That's ok, let me see if I can explain a bit better

To get the basic State Pension you must have paid or been credited with National Insurance contributions.

This means you either get the contributions through working or through claiming certain benefits. If you are on JSA or ESA you automatically get Class 1 credits, these are credits that count towards your state pension.

To get the full basic State Pension you need a total of 30 qualifying years of National Insurance contributions or credits. This means you were either:

If you have fewer than 30 qualifying years, your basic State Pension will be less than £125.95 per week but you might be able to top up by paying voluntary National Insurance contributions.

Does that make more sense?

Scope
  • kayhikari
    Options
    um i think so? sorry im dont really understand things like this i useually have to get my parents to explain things to me
  • Fight4Justice
    Fight4Justice Community member Posts: 63 Pioneering
    Options
    This govt help pg has some useful info: 

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/pension-credit-toolkit/pension-credit-and-help-for-disabled-people

Specifically the part under the heading Extra Pension Credit for severely disabled people or carers - my understanding of this is you would be entitled to an extra £64.3 a week due to the Severe Disability Premium (assuming you qualify for this via PIP Daily Living), on top of the State Pension of £164.35 per week.
  • Yadnad
    Options
    This govt help pg has some useful info: 

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/pension-credit-toolkit/pension-credit-and-help-for-disabled-people

Specifically the part under the heading Extra Pension Credit for severely disabled people or carers - my understanding of this is you would be entitled to an extra £64.3 a week due to the Severe Disability Premium (assuming you qualify for this via PIP Daily Living), on top of the State Pension of £164.35 per week.
    Is Pension Credit actually available to recipients of the 'new' State Pension?
    Maybe I am wrong in that I thought that you could only claim it if you were in receipt of the 'old' State Pension.
  • Fight4Justice
    Fight4Justice Community member Posts: 63 Pioneering
    Options
    @Yadnad

You're probably right as I'm no expert. I've just been reading through some various Govt & benefit help pgs but this is what I found so far.

This help site makes references to changes for the savings component of Pension Credit - https://www.turn2us.org.uk/Benefit-guides/Pension-Credit/How-much-Pension-Credit-will-I-get#guide-content - that seems to be closed down to people reaching State Pension age from 6th April 2016 onwards.

I was confused by this following Govt help pg referring to eligibility for the various Disability Premiums - https://www.gov.uk/disability-premiums-income-support/eligibility - under the Severe disability premium heading it makes no reference to needing to be under Pension Credit age to qualify for this benefit. However, it does say you must get one of the following to qualify You must get the disability premium or income-related ESA, under the Disability premium heading it says You or your partner must be under pension credit age to receive it, however, then at the end it say the following If you do not qualify, you may still get the premium if you’ve been unable to work for at least a year. I'm not sure how to interpret that. Does that also discount needing to be over the State Pension Credit age to receive it?

I find it strange that a single person at age 64 could receive the Disability Premium of £33.55, plus Severe Disability Premium of £64.3 and Enhanced Disability Premium of £16.4, then one year later lose all that extra financial support. It could be true though. It's definitely worth seeking expert advice though.

For example a single person on ESA and in the Support Group would receive the following:

- up to £110.75 a week if you’re in the support group
    - enhanced disability premium at £16.40
    - severe disability premium at £64.30

That adds up to £191.45 per week if you receive the max.

The new State Pension is £164.35 if you have the necessary national insurance contributions. Therefore you're £191.45 minus £164.35 worse off (£27.1 per week) moving over from ESA to the new State Pension, assuming there is in fact no extra disability support for pensioners.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.