Esa under payments — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Esa under payments

john28863
john28863 Community member Posts: 28 Connected
hi wonder if anyone can help my bro in law in 2011 was on ib dla high for both and some inc supp married no savings wife a carer but not for him would he be elligable for these back payments

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,936 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

Does his wife work? If not then they should be claiming ESA as a couple and this will mean they will be claiming Income Related ESA not contributions based. If they're claiming as a couple then the money they receive should be correct.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • john28863
    Wife doesnt work she is his carer now but that only changed in 2013 when he was changed from ib to esa she was ny mums carer
  • john28863
    Type your commentincome support claimed as a couple 
  • john28863
    I think what im asking is does inc supp stop you qualifying for the back payments
  • poppy123456
    I'm sorry but i still don't understand what exactly you're asking. As they are a couple then they should be claiming as a couple and this should have been done in 2013 when he moved from IB to ESA. There won't be anything owed if they're claiming as a couple because it will have been Income related from the start.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • poppy123456
    It's always extremely difficult to advise a 3rd party person because unless you know all their details it's impossible to advise.
  • john28863
    Ty poppy appreciateyour help
  • john28863
    I think they have claimed as a couple since2008 he was moved from ib to esa in 2011
  • poppy123456
    john28863 said:
    I think they have claimed as a couple since2008 he was moved from ib to esa in 2011
    As i thought yes. Then there would be no backdated money because they would have been assessed for Income Related at that time.
  • john28863
    I thought noone was assessed for inc rel at change over thats what the problem is for beck pay
  • poppy123456
    Single claims weren't no but claiming as a couple is totally different. You can't claim Contributions based as a couple, it's always income related.
  • john28863
    Thanks poppy much appreciated cant help being so thick haha
  • poppy123456
    No problem. You're not thick! lol  The benefits system is very complicated and not many people understand it.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.