Warm home discount scheme — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Warm home discount scheme

Options
Socrates63
Socrates63 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi everyone. 
Just a quick question. I'm receiving income related esa support group benefit and I know I received extra £10 or so a week on top for living alone by myself. Not sure but I think they title it some kind of premium. Enhanced I think. Anyway tried get warm home discount from edf and they seemed vague and not sure if entitled to it. Rang dwp but they said depends on supplier's criteria. Esa income related support group is all the money I get£126.50 week. Anyone know where I stand? Very confused. Thanks in advance. Socrates. 

Comments

• wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello and welcome, you have to apply to your electricity supplier, ask if they do the warm front scheme, or look on line to find out a phone call may be better. You have to be claiming certain  benefits, a form is sent just tick boxes and sent back or fill in on line if you are eligible you will be credited £140 to your electricity account in January time next year, as long as you remain on the benefits criteria you can claim every year but you have to claim no reminder is sent. Claim it if entitled or lose it by your own negligence.
  • Socrates63
    Socrates63 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Thanks for the reply. I understand you have to apply. But seems like I'm going round in circles with dwp and supplier. As I said looked at form for warm home discount with supplier, but seems its changed. I'm now in the broader group and was wondering if anyone is in same boat as me. My supplier says 1st part of form is fine. I'm in the income related support group of esa and get extra tenner a week or so for living alone. Dwp say this is an enhanced premium. But supplier says not sure. Wondered if anyone in exactly the same boat as me. Altogether get 126.50 a week  Surely I'm entitled to it. Had it before for few years but with different suppliers. Many thanks again  Socrates  
  • Georgia63
    Georgia63 Community member Posts: 32 Connected
    Options
    Hello im on ESA and i'm with british gas and i have been able to claim off them for the last couple of years.Good luck
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,264 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,

You need to apply for the warm home discount with your energy supplier and they will do the checks with DWP to see if you're eligible. All you need to do is apply online and wait.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • justg72
    justg72 Community member Posts: 173 Pioneering
    Options

Hi 

If you go on EDFs website and type in warm home discount, the information below is off there. I have copied this bit which relates to income related ESA                                                                                                                                 (2) Income-related Employment and Support Allowance and one of the following:

• Has parental responsibility for a child under the age of 5 who ordinarily resides with you
    • Receives a disabled child premium or Child Tax Credit which includes a disability or severe disability element
    • Receives a disability premium, enhanced disability premium, severe disability premium
    • Receives a Disability Living Allowance, Personal Independence Payment or Attendance Allowance for you or another adult living with you
    • Receives a pensioner premium, higher pensioner premium or enhanced pensioner premium;
    • Receives a work related activity or support group component
    Hope this helps I would complete the application form anyway because they will do the checks to see if you qualify.
    Hope this helps 
    Just72

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.