Simple hand tests at PIP assessment — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Simple hand tests at PIP assessment

fedupScot13
fedupScot13 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited October 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hello everyone thank you for allowing me to join this group. My husband had an assessment at home yesterday. Can anyone advise me as to what the purpose of the simple hand tests are. Like everyone who is going this process my husband and I are very stressed at the moment. Why do you need to prove to a stranger how Ill you are.

Comments

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @fedupScot13 welcome to the community!

Could you explain what you mean by 'simple hand tests'?
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • feir
    feir Community member Posts: 397 Pioneering
    You have to have the assessment so they can make up their own mind on how disabled you are. I got 0 points every time until myconsultants backed up my claim, then i got 10 coz whoever did my report lied and should've got more.
    Just goes to show that these assessments mean nothing.
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    PIP does not assess how disabled you are. It’s about the consequences of your imparment. You can have mild impairment but big consequences and serious impairment with few consequences. 

I’m also not sure what test is being talked about here.

I seem to remember a while back that a minister at Westminster said that PIP was for the really and most disabled amongst us?

• debbiedo49
    debbiedo49 Community member Posts: 2,904 Disability Gamechanger
    @Yadnad are you referring to this?
    "In April 2013 Iain Duncan Smith, the sponsor of the Welfare Reform Act, expressed his support for the changes to disability benefits brought about by the new law. He was critical of the older system of disability benefits which awarded an allowance to claimants with no further systematic checks to assess if the claimant's condition had improved or worsened. Iain Duncan Smith stated that, by requiring claimants to undergo periodic assessments, the system could be targeted at those most in need whilst preventing payments being made to people who had recovered from a temporary disability.[9]"
  • topshoes
    topshoes Community member Posts: 442 Pioneering
    Hi and a warm welcome @fedupScot13 so sorry to hear you are stress , they ask you to put your hands one way then the other way ,is that what you saying about , did they ask you to blow into a like tube 
  • debbiedo49
  • topshoes
    no  not what had to do today
  • debbiedo49
    @topshoes did you do a simple hands test too?
  • topshoes
    edited October 2018
     @debbiedo49 hands ,fingers , legs,  feet ,head , neck , knees,arms and you have to blow into this like tube
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    @Yadnad are you referring to this?
    "In April 2013 Iain Duncan Smith, the sponsor of the Welfare Reform Act, expressed his support for the changes to disability benefits brought about by the new law. He was critical of the older system of disability benefits which awarded an allowance to claimants with no further systematic checks to assess if the claimant's condition had improved or worsened. Iain Duncan Smith stated that, by requiring claimants to undergo periodic assessments, the system could be targeted at those most in need whilst preventing payments being made to people who had recovered from a temporary disability.[9]"
    …..and https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-39097019

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.